AE Aegis Evo 3's ....Opinions?

scooby l

Established Member
Reaction score
I want 4 floor standing speakers and am tied between AE's Evo 3's or the 109's, can anyone tell me if there is much between them in performance?

Or even the Aespirt 309's, anyone have recomendations on those?

I am selling my Elac Cinema F20's and these speakers will be replacing them in my system.

Or can anyone recommend an alternative? my budget is going to be circa £650... but I will be looking at 2nd hand speakers as well as new.

My amp is the Denon AVR1905 if that would effect the suggestions..

cheers for any info

Kyle

Lostinapc said:
4 floorstanders on that amp and you might run out of power...

Really?

Never really thought of that. Anyone know the symptoms of the above?

Wouldnt it be better to use 2 floorstanders and 2 bookshelves/stand mounts??

I can recommend the evo 3's over the 309's. The evo's really rock :D

Use these as rears
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1277

I would agree the 1905 would possibly run out of puff trying to drive 4*evo 3's at any real volume, also you need some room arround the evo's to let them breath as otherwise they will boom :(

Must say that the Evo 3's are great well pleased with them i also got mine from superfi great service :)

Yeah mine came from superfi as well :) Superb serivce and a price matching service :devil:

i got mine from hi-spek, not great service (they delivered it later than they were supposed to without letting me know) but they were only £250

:thumbsup: i have just got the evo 3b 5.1 package and i have to say it totaly rocks, like nothing i have heard..... i am runnng them with a denon 2805 and its awsome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Neal666: did you compare them to the aelites when you purchased them? Just curious how they compared, if you did.

I did not compare them to the aelites, value for money nothing touches them... i have heard good things about the aelites so i would imagine thay are even better again.... :clap:

i am just trying to make my mind up about buying another 2 rear`s to go OTT and have a 7.1 system..... hmmmmm???? :confused:

I tried 7.1 and found that I did not like it AT ALL :( , a waste of amplication and speakers. I found that it interfered with the imaging of my L/R and the sound that was comming from them. I went back to 5.1 and was floored by the better sound I got :smashin: But that was my system (lexicon MC1) and my room. Your situation may be different, but be advised much of 7.1 i, especially in "normal sized rooms is more about retail sales than sonics. Maybe one of the Arcam folks can chime in as to why they offer biamping of the fronts in their receivers as opposed to 7.1

Thanks everyone, update....

Just spoke to AE, and they recon I will be ok running 4 floorstanders (EVO or Aespirits) with my 1905. :smashin:

AE have some "B Spec" 309's for £250, which basically means they are taking up too much factory floor space now they have been discontinued. But he did confirm the Evo 3's where the best value for money (RRP) floorstander they do.

I am not a fan of shelf speakers (sorry Dfour)..... never liked the look of them... I've always swayed to floor standers.. :rolleyes: (I'll just have to keep them away from my walls) :D

I tend to side with Dfour, I think that you'll have too much of a "good thing" along with stressing you amp(s). But try it, if it's too much then sell them and buy Dfour's reccomended bookshelves!

If this turns out to be correct, can anyone recommend a set of nice speaker stands for the AE Evo 1's?

(They need to be at least 700mm high)

Also bare in mind that the evo 1's arent primarily designed as rear/effect speakers they are designed as Main stereo speakers and kick a**e when they are used as such. They aint that small either!!

Speaker stands:
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/805
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/180
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/443
http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=212

BTW the evo 3's respond very well to being bi-amped :devil:

cheers for that dfour they would be just what I'm looking for....

Bi-amp the fronts? eek...how does that work....supose I would need a pre-amp as well?

Is bi-wiring them also a worth while exercise? I have heard the Keffs benefit greatly from this, I am currently using QED (about £5 per m)

To save yourself some money just use a little of the QED cable your using and replace the jumpers on the speakers with the Qed and you get 96% of the advantages of bi-wiring.

Bi amping is the addition of another power amp (some av amps allow you to do this instead of running 7 speakers) to your setup. Use the main amp to drive the HFE on your speakers and then use pre-outs on the main amp to the power amp. Then connect the external power amp to the LFE on your speakers and stand back :devil: :eek: :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom