1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE Aegis Compact as Centre?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dejongj, Jan 20, 2003.

1. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am getting more and more pressure from my other half to replace my current centre and go for a ceiling mounted option.

I currently have the AE Aegis 3 as fronts and AE Aegis Compact as rears. As we have an 8ft screen which is hanging over our patio door, my wife wants me to remove the centre speaker underneath it and go for a neat ceiling mounted (white) centre speaker.

I do like the AE Compacts as rear surrounds (also a compromise to get things from the floor...) but wonders whether it is any good as a centre.

Also does anyone have experience with ceiling mounting a centre speaker onto a plasterboard ceiling? Or do I have to make another bracket inbetween the joists like for the screen..

Cheers,

Jean-Paul de Jong

2. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BUMP - If you don't have the Aegis Compacts, do any of the front projection people have this dilemma of where to place the centre speaker?

3. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I use AE compacts all round, although this is partly due to budget concerns (am but a poor student), not to mention that they are easy to transport (good for house parties. You'd be amazed the air they can move when you have them proper loud ;) )
    I've never noticed any particular shortcomings for it as a center, although clearly if you do have the money there could well be a better compromise. TBH I am really happy with them all and they are pretty unlikely to be replaced in the next few years (unlike the sub, which will probably be ditched at the first opportunity) If you shop around you can get them really cheap, so no harm in trying. If all else fails you can keep it for a rear centre (assuming you don't already have one). My center is white, and i think i got an ex display one for a bargain thirty quid at John Lewis. Good luck.

4. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timothy,

Many thanks for the advice. I think it is a good suggestion to just buy one as indeed I can keep it as a rear centre if I don't like it as my main centre....

Good suggestion!!!!

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

5. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    HifiBitz.co.uk are selling them for £49.99 EACH, where as unbeatable.co.uk are seeling them At£96, presumably for a pair.
    dunno if this includes brackets though (site is down so cant check!!)

6. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stinky,

Thanks for that information. I actually got my rear AE Compatcs from HiFiBitz and yes you have to pay seperately for the bracket. But as I only need one I probably will get it from them again.

I am still worried about fixing it to the plasterboard ceiling, does any of you have got any experience with that?

Regards,

Jean-Paul