1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE-700 Convergence HDMI Mac Mini Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by filmo, Mar 28, 2005.

1. filmo

filmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a AE-700 ceiling mounted. Recently added a Mac Mini to the mix and am hooking it up via a DVI to HDMI cable. On the mac side, I've got the monitor set at 1280x720.

The problem is that at the top of the screen everything seems great, the image is sharp and the color is correct. Towards the bottom of the screen, it seem like the convergence is off. The text and images are 'blurry' and if you look closely at the edge of a letter against a white background, you can see blue shifted one way and red the other.

I've tried it with two different computers and a regular VGA cable and it the same on both, so I don't think it's a cable or computer issue.

How big a factor is lens shift? I've tried tilting the projector on the mount and using more keystoning. It seems to help a little, but it's still not converging correctly at the bottom of the screen.

How do people deal with the fact that unless the projector is straight on with the screen that there will be some focal divergence? Is there away to adjust the panels through settings to offset the divergence? Is there some more sophisticated lenses shifting that deal with the fact that if the projector isn't perfectly straight on, (e.g. projecting down in the case of ceiling mount, or projecting up in the case of table usage)

Filmo

2. dorgan

dorgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's definitely the use of the lens shift and keystone correction that's causing your problems. I had the same when I connected up my Mac for a test. Don't have any screen shots though. I was fed up with having it on the ceiling so I took it down and installed it on the wall. Now it's got the advantage of better picture quality, running quiter in desk mode and easier to reach. Pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stuck some rubber feet on the pieces of wood to stop any sliding from the projector. I also managed to remove some of the waves in my screen by dropping the screen to it's maximum drop. My projector is back at Panasonic getting the firmware upgrade. Hope to have it back this week. :)

EDIT: The overscan on the screen happens when the projector is set to 720p. At 480p there it less overscan.

3. jefcam

jefcam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi... my pt-ae700 is 3 months old and already faulty. my problem is that i am from malta and bought it from singapore over the internet. now i have to send it back to singapore but its very expensive. Panasonic is not accepting that i send it to europe. if so i have to pay for the repairs.

and i think the repairs are high cause i think it has trouble to one of the LCD Panel or the main board.

After 20 mins running in front/desk mode. strange white flashing pixels come up in the dark areas.

Panasonic cutsomer care is 10000 years back in time.

4. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you see white pixels then not panel problem, what signal source ?, do you know firmware version?, does your warranty card state international warranty (usually, 3 months labour, 12 months parts)?, does it occur ceiling mount?
    many questions I know, but more the info the more the reply

5. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The focal dynamics are extremely critical, as with all lens optics, and are designed for direct inline projection, however, if you can't get good focus top to bottom, thats one thing, but if by blurry(misconvergence), thats another thing, so, if blurry by focus, you can if youre game add some shimmy spacers to the lens mount(my guess about 0.5 mm) to the two top lens mounts behind the plate(lens mounted by 4 screws), but your will need to remove to complete optical engine, so afraid, a bit fiddly and, trial and error involved