1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ae 500 cleaning dust blobs - how risky ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by harrisuk, Jun 29, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have got my first dust blob on my ae 500 after around 100 hours use. Its green the size of tennis ball. Its only visible on black scenes, I cant see it at all in games which is where the projector gets most use.

Firstly I cant find calibos thread which details how to open up the pannies and how to clean them. Secondly can anyone who has done this and is a novice reassure me. As I am worried I am going to ruin the optics blowing liquid air all over them.

As its only one am I better off leaving it ???? There are 50+ ae500 owners on here so I am sure a few of you have done a cleaning job already.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    It is really simple. Just practice holding the can upright and not firing out any liquid. Then simply give it all a blast on the panels.

Liquid will damage the panels, but you would have to be quite careless to do that after practise. You must also make sure that the PJ is completely cool, if you have used it I would leave it for at least 1.5hrs before attempting this. Blasting cold air across warm panels will also damage them.

It's not as difficult or worrying as you are making out.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You dont the link to the calibos thread on this do you , I cant find it anywhere.

Do you have an ae500, how do you get the cover off. Is it just the screws on the back panel ?

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    link to calibos cleaning guide here

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    thanks chic !

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Can't find the link sorry.

Turn the machine upside down, the arrows mark all the screws that need to be undone. Do not forget the ones in the adjustable feet as well !

Place the machine correct way up again, gently ease off the whole silver top cover. All very easy to do.

With the lens facing you, and towards it's right, you will see 3 sets of ribbons arising from the prism block. Each ribbon is for each of the panels and should have a small circular sticker marking what colour the panels are. If you have a green blob on a black screen it is most likely the green panel that has the dust particle.

You need to blast the air down into where each of those ribbons lead into.

Now it is best to rest the machine on it's side vertically. This enables you to get the air can very close into this area AND able to keep the can vertical. Use a directional pipe on the air can to get really accurate shots of air in there.

If you find you cannot get access near to the base of the ribbon, then where the ribbon comes out at the top it slides into a connector. Either side of these connectors are small black clasps. Gently ease them out first and the ribbon will easily slide out. This makes it far easier to access the well where the LCD panel is. After your done simply slide the ribbon back fully into the connector and push the clasp back in.

If your dust blob is not stubborn to remove you probably wont have to detach the ribbon. If it is you will have to cos it makes the cleaning far far easier.

Assemble in reverse order.

Once your done you will not fear dust blobs again.