1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE-100 vertical setup position?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I've searched through the various forums to find some information on this, but without much luck. If the AE-100 is mounted at the same height as the top of the screen, is it possible to use a combination of tilting the projector and keystone correction to achieve a true image without any obvious digital correction?

In my potential setup the projector would be ceiling-hung (but not inverted) and would be some 8ft 9ins from the screen, giving a picture 6ft 6ins x 3ft 7ins. If the projector were not tilted at all, the lens would be pointing almost exactly at the top of the screen.

Thanks in advance,

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick answer is NO!

Any keystone, even -1 or +1 will cause picture distortion.

One only needs to use a DILA test pattern to see how dramatic this affect is.

Obviously not as noticeable while watching a DVD, but still undesireable :eek:

One needs to aim for a 0 keystone correction value to maximise the picture quality, but many will not notice the distortion if this is used.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Kramer, thanks for the reply.

Does this mean that for the best possible image, the projector has to be perfectly horizontal and pointed directly at the centre of the screen? Rather an inconvenient setup, surely?

How far off the vertical centre-line can the projector go before keystone correction becomes necessary?

Bert

4. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AE100 is designed to be lined up 10cm below the bottom of the projected image (or 10cm above the top if inverted). As such, if you are mounting high and lining up with the top of the screen then you really want to be inverting the projector and this would produce a non-trapezoid image meaning no need of keystone correction.

The distorting you get from keystone is frowned upon heavily on forums like these but matters more or less depending on souce (e.g. football off of sky digital over composite looks pretty damn fuzzy anyway so the keystone doesn't dramatically effect it). The alternative is to just mask off a perfectly rectangular area of a distorted image. This is often more desirable than using keystone but may not be an option depending on what you are projecting on to.

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Popeckia, thanks for the reply. Very useful.

Annoying though - I was congratulating myself on having a perfect situation and being able to mount the projector high up but not upside-down...

Is that "10cms above the top of the image" measurement to the centre of the lens?

Bert

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    you will have the perfect set up, if you just invert the projector. Providing its positioned correctly, you won't need any keystone correction, so you'll get the best possible image.

I'm not even sure its possible to project from the ceiling non-inverted. Firstly the projector would have to be pointing downwards - not horizontal. Secondly, I don't think the keystone has enough leeway to correct for that much distortion.

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Richard, thanks for the reply. I hadn't realised when I posted my original query that the AE100 was actually designed to be positioned so far off the central axis of the screen.

As for inverting it, it seems I will have to. As I said, it's a pity - I have an existing shelf, just below ceiling height, which would have been perfect to place the unit on right-side-up...

Bert

8. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    rest it upside down on seom blu-tack?

9. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Bonesy, thanks for the suggestion but somehow I can't bring myself to put a £1500 piece of kit on four blobs of Blu-tak...

(Except as a temporary measure to try the thing out as soon as I get it, of course!)

Bert

10. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bert,
    My AE100 sits on TV mount attached to the back wall. The projector sits on 4 blobs of Blur Tack with no problems at all. The major problem is adjusting the horizontal position of the projector to make it perfectly square. I have found blue tack to give the best positioning.

Dean

12. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have in the past happily placed a projector (significantly more expensive one at the time than the AE100 as well) on a soft surface upside down on a shelf... worked fine for 18 months until I moved house. Weighed about 5 times as much too and the shelf was above my head as I slept..... I wouldn't let it bother you