1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE-100, Sky Digital, Dscaler. Screenshots.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kramer, May 22, 2002.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a few pictures I took a while ago.

Setup:

PT-AE100
    Grundig Sky Digital via S-video feeding
    Pinnacle PCTV Rave PCI capture card through
    Athlon XP1800+ (@ XP2100 speed) via VGA projected onto a
    Projecta 200x112cm matte white 1 gain manual screen.

Bear in mind that the pictures still don't do the actual image justice, but I'm very happy ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one with the colour tinge, but again, the tinge is far more noticeable in real life.

[​IMG]

Sorry, but I didn't realise they were so small in the size I uploaded them :([​IMG]

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised no one has replied :confused:

There was one thing I thought people would ask.

Anyone?

If no one asks, I'll post some useful (well, I think so) info tomorrow.

Clue: It's not strictly to do with the PQ :confused:

3. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What source are you using on the screenshots?
    Direct feed from the SKY-box, or Sky via PC?

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    It Looks like you are running in wide480 mode, hence the news reader looks like a real fat guy :) maybe you could switch to BBC 24 hour news for widescreen. blacks look very good, are you, using the FLD filter to improve contrast?
    Do you also find that active button anoying?

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    a silly moment here, but did you know you can get rid of active spot by pressing backup button on remote. I've had sky digi for a while I never knew until someone told me last week..:)
    I want to know why I can;t take piccies like that..what's the secret..;)

6. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To take pics of your TV/screen you need to:

Keep the camera still for duration of exposure. Photographers are generally reluctant to hand hold below 1/30th sec exposure. Taking pics of a screen will involve shutter speeds of this speed and slower so a tripod is a must. This will eliminate camera shake.

Set the shutter speed to overcome the frequency of display ie if you photograph a 50hz TV you will need a shutter speed of more (longer/slower) than 1/50th sec to eliminate the black band as the display updates itself.

Freeze the display if possible. This will allow you to set a longer shutter speed which in turn allows you to select a smaller aperture (for SLR users) which is more forgiving in relation to focusing.

Bracket your exposures, which is another way of saying take a series of pictures with one or more of the settings (shutter speed and aperture) changed either side of the settings suggested by the cameras own metering system. This means for a scene with a fixed exposure value you are likley to get at least one of them spot on.

For an image which you cannot pause, like the Sky pictures, the exposure value will be changing constantly to a lesser or greater degree depending on the type of broadcast. For the duration of the speech, the newsreader is likley to remain fairly static and the lighting around him will remain constant. An action film that switches between shadowy scenes and expolsions will send a cameras metering into overdrive. Getting a good picture in these circumstances is very much luck of the draw.

The problem is a viscious circle where, to achieve a quality sharp image, you need low shutter speeds which needs a static or v. slow moving image or wide open aperture which affects focus and therefore quality etc etc..

If you go with a tripod, slow shutter speeds, a darkened room, NO FLASH and several goes you will probably get a few pics to make it worth the effort. Digital camera users can snap away to their hearts desire and discard the crap pics as they go.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Mike.

PS. Good image though. How big is it? (shame about the newsreader suffering from Stretchy Head)