1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE-100 problem - comment from Panasonic

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, May 21, 2002.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I have finally managed to get some information on the fate of my dead AE-100. I returned the projector on Saturday 4th May after it (almost literally) blew up in my hands: no warning, just a loudish bang and then silence. The dealer assured me that it would be returned to the manufacturers forthwith.

Yesterday I phoned the dealer, was passed from hand to hand (or perhaps from ear to ear) and was finally told "Yes sir, I'll phone Panasonic and get straight back to you." I was unsurprised when I'd heard nothing by the end of the day.

First thing this morning I phoned again, and was told exactly the same thing. Naturally enough, by 5.40pm I'd had no phone call. So I phoned again.

After a shorter bit of passing around I found myself speaking to the same chap I'd reached this morning. The conversation...

HIM: Oh yes sir, I rang Panasonic - they haven't got the parts.

ME: (Somewhat surprised) They haven't got the parts?

HIM: They haven't got the parts.

ME: Did they say exactly which parts they haven't got?

HIM: No.

ME: So they didn't say what had gone wrong?

ME: Did they say how long it would take them to get these parts?

(A long pause. Clearly he hadn't asked that question)

HIM: No. Maybe another week.

ME: Or maybe longer?

HIM: They did not say.

ME: Well did they suggest giving me a new one instead?

ME: Did you ask them if they would?

(Another long pause)

HIM: They said they would repair it for you.

ME: When they get the parts.

HIM: Yes.

And there it more or less ended. I tried ringing Panasonic, but got no answer (this was at 5.45pm and I suspect they'd given up for the night, probably frustrated at the general lack of parts.)

I'll try again in the morning.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Paul.B2

Paul.B2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Yep, aren't dealers and Panasonic bloody useless!

Mine went off to Panny a couple of days before yours and i phoned my dealer last Thursday to try and get an update. Well i can't fault the dealer, as he rang me back within 5-10 minutes. The bad news was that Panasonic gave him a job no. for it and said that as they've got such a backlog, they haven't even touched mine yet. :( I'm going to ring again tomorrow, so hopefully it'll be better news.
    Is there a timeframe after which we can demand a refund?. I know that you can have one if it dies within 28 days, but mine was 6 weeks. If i don't get mine back before the world cup starts, my friends who are coming round to get the big screen experience are going to be very disappointed with a 32" TV set :blush:

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Paul.B2 thanks for the message.

So - Panasonic haven't fixed yours because of the enormous backlog, and they haven't fixed mine because they don't have the parts. It seems to be a reasonable deduction that most of the faulty units have the *same* fault, thus leading to the shortage of the necessary bits. So at least we've learned something...

At least your dealer is more on the telephonic ball than mine.

Bert

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Looks like i'm gonna cancel my order :(

Dosn't seem to be any coming into the country as I ordered weeks ago and was confidently told 10 days.

The dealer has no news when they are coming :(

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    To all

I had a PM from a Panasonic employee who visits this forum, he commented that the fault was with the power supplys on the early batch of this projector, and if you had a faulty power supply it would pack up fairly early on, so if you have a fair number of hours on your projector it should be OK.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hmmmmmm..................

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    And presumably, since there are patently no old stocks sitting around waiting to be purchased, anyone ordering a new AE-100 (and having to wait for it) can be reasonably sure of getting one which won't explode.

Bert

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    So that just leaves flicker etc.......
    Only being Devils Advocate here.

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    fair comment, lets wait and see.

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Tim, was your contact specific as to which part of the PSU was at fault? Ie, the transformer, a couple of capacitors, resisitors etc?????

If as is I suspect, Panasonic being the King of modifications, have adjusted the values of certain components and maybe added a part here and there.

The person/people the use in R&D should be shot and hung out to dry. Really I should have known better, but they do do it a lot. Just get it right for God's sake.

Why must the public do their testing for them?????:mad:

If anyone from Panasonic is reading this, then I hope they pass it on, as the same goes for TV's, VCR's, DVD etc etc. In this day and age of the internet, information is passed around very quickly!!!! And it wouldn't hurt your customer relations to get someone on this forum to get it in the neck from the buyers here!!!

11. Degs

Degs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Paul,

There is no time frame after which you can demand a refund.

The above statute states that you are entitled to a refund if the goods you bought are not of satisfactory quality i.e. faulty.

You are not entitled to a repair or a replacement, it is your choice whether to accept either but the only remedy in law is for a full refund.

Remember also that you have no contract with Panasonic but with the shop from which you bought the goods so it is up to them to refund your cash. If they don't see your local Trading Standards for advice on the Small Claims procedure.

If you paid for any part of the unit, a deposit however small, or the full amount by credit card (debit cards are not covered) Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act makes your card issuer as liable for any problems as the trader who sold you the goods. Phone them and kick up a fuss if you don't get satisfaction from the trader.

The card issuer will squirm and try to avoid any responsibilty but if you have to sue the trader to enforce your rights tell the card issuer you will be suing them as well.

If you try to get a refund and need any assistance call your local Trading Standards Department at your local council.

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree about the credit card company.

I bought a well specked PC from Dell here in Ireland about 20 months ago.

They charged delivery even though my other half works for them, & the factory is only 1.5 miles from us - £40 :mad:

However, the 15" TFT flat panel display had 2 adjoining pixels stuck open :mad: As I had paid nearly £600 just to upgrade from the original, very good & expensive, 19" Sony CRT display, I wasn't going to accept the faulty unit.

Guess what I was consistently told during the 48, yes 48 ! phone calls I made to Dell:

"It's within specification Sir".

At no time did they even send out someone to see the problem:mad: :mad:

Finally, I contacted the credit card company - MBNA.

"Oh, no problem sir, if the goods are faulty, & were DELIVERED:D (now glad I'd paid that £40 !!!), just return them & we'll refund your card."

Needless to say, when I then phoned Dell & asked for a name for the courier company as the goods were being returned, I was once again passed to a supervisor.

"What would rectify the situation for you sir?"

"A new monitor"

5 days later, new monitor, perfect, arrives :eek:

The fools never instructed the courier to collect the old one. It was boxed up & sitting in the hall & my partner was handing it to the delivery guy. "I wasn't asked to collect that".

Well, the new one's still working, & the old one is now in the proud ownership of my brother :D

They phoned a few times, leaving messages asking me to contact them - fat chance. 48 calls from me & they wanted me to call them again :confused:

Now, regarding the unit I have, which I bought in Germany. I still have it, 290 hrs on the clock, still awaiting a resolution from the retailer.

I DID NOT PAY BY CREDIT CARD :mad:

13. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strangest thing is that Panasonic told my dealer to replace the unit, they were not interested in repairing it. Though i guess they will do this eventually.

The AE100 they replaced my one with is now at 120 hours.

I have decided it is noisier than my first one, though not annoying.

Regards

Der Pobman

14. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Bert,

Did you get your rgb to svideo convertor problem sorted, or do you think this was part of the problem?

15. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Somewhat to my surprise I was told by the manufacturer of the converter that the slight ripple in the image was within spec for the unit and to be expected, and would naturally be more prominent on a large projected picture. So the poor quality through the converter was evidently not down to the imminent demise of the projector.

I returned the converter for a refund (and was charged a handling charge for my pains.)

Bert

16. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bert - I think i missed the original post about your ripple. Are they diagonal lines which move accross the image? I had MANY problems with S-Video with my room in the UK, as it just picked up interference all over the place (even though i had resonable quality, £20, cable and only 1 metre of it. Eventually i sorted my interference by running the cable in a completely different way to the other cables, and not running it anywhere near the aerial lead. However from time to time the diagonal lines are still there, so i do my best never to use s-video in that room.

Regards

Der Pobman

17. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    No, it was a horizontal ripple which affected the whole screen - most noticeable, obviously, on vertical lines, but visible over the whole picture area once it had caught my eye.

It meant that the s-video (converted from RGB) picture was actually inferior to the straight composite video feed.

Bert

18. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    There has been an exciting new development in the ongoing saga of my AE-100...

Panasonic say that they don't have the projector.

According to the dealer, Panasonic assured him that the delay was due to them "not having the parts" - according to Panasonic, the dealer only contacted them about picking up the projector *yesterday*.

So - who should I believe?

I phoned the dealer, who promised to speak to Panasonic and get straight back to me.

I'm not holding my breath.

Bert

19. chienmort

chienmort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a problem,

1. Don't believe it if the dealer is blaming the manufacturer. Its and easy way of having to do nothing.
    2. Ring the manufacturers Customer Care dept. they are normally part of the service division of the company. pansonics number is )08705-357357
    3. Have ALL relevant information ready including Serial Number FULL model number and date and place of purchase.
    4. If you bought it from a dealer in another country, don't expect the UK company to jump through hoops for you. UK purchases pay for UK service.
    5. Two rules of thumb:
    a) If it works for two weeks or more the "not fit for purpose" part of the Trades Desriptions Act does not apply.

b) If it is away for more than a month ask for a refund. This is your only recourse under the law. There is no right to a replacement product, only a refund.

20. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thanks for that. You obviously know about this stuff; are you a lawyer or similar sort of legal person? If so, there's a related question which I'll ask you privately, if that's OK.

Bert

21. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Bert, if he is a lawyer or similar sort, be prepared to put your credit card details in that pm ;)

22. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Bert

Would you mind telling us the make of the faulty rgb/svideo convertor, that way I wont be going for this make if I decide to go for one.

Cheers

23. Degs

Degs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    "Not fit for the purpose" is not in the Trade Descriptions Act 1968 but in the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994.

In this case you would not rely on this section of the act anyway, if you wanted to reject the goods. The phrase "not of satisfactory quality" is in the Sale of Goods Act and covers the situation perfectly.

Don't know who told you 2 weeks was the time limit for rejecting goods as the act does not specify any time limit but does say that durability should be taken into account when deciding if goods are of satisfactory quality.

I would opine that 2 weeks is not ample durability for a product of this type and hence rejection of the goods, and a full refund from the trader who sold them, is your legal entitlement.

If you wish to accept a repair or replacement that is your choice but, as Chienmort says, the law entitles you to a full refund.

24. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about your panny Bert Coules...

O.k If anyone as had the sh*t end of the stick from duff pannys..it's got to be me..owner of 2 duff pannys. Both had blown lamps...all together a total of 14 weeks have been wasted on either replacment/repairs.

1st panny 20mins clocked (oct 01 model)
    2nd panny 70hrs clocked (lamp replaced) (march 02 model)

atcually i got my 2nd panny back after a 7week siege in panasonic repairs in leeds. clocked 60hrs so far.

I hassled the repair boys in a regualry basis until they got so sick they had a go with panasonic HQ....Only then...did things start to happen! After 6 weeks!

It appeared that the repair boys and been mis-informed about lamp stock..so they'd ordered from japan..seemed to take for ever..but the breakthrough came when i called the "main Panansonic dept" on 08705-357357 and complained "big time". They said i was entitled to a refund cos they couldn't source another panny but My dealer told me it'd take another 6 weeks till they'd get any! So i told customer care to stuff the refund and fix it..quick! I spoke to this chap called "Lee something..there's 2 lee's...but this one was convinced i came to the right person..
    he was sorry and as compensation promised to reset my warranty...as it happens he worked for the replacement and orders the link between the repair lads.....and guess what? He found some lamps....right here in england!!! Thats right.. no communication between panasonic depts..there's more.....! he told me he couldn't get them until their computer ordering system was replaced..it took a another week...but hey! They got it and fixed my panny! Sods!

Refunds are boring and a hassle.
    Mr. Bert Coules ring this number 08705-357357 and ask for a Mr.lee. sweeny i think..but remember it's the lee that does parts and knows a little about projectors..i hope he can help you!!

Good luck...your not alone!

;)

25. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I really don't envy you poor guys. I had to deal with Panasonic "customer support" a couple of years ago when a widescreen telly of mine had some trouble. Let's just say that after about 6 months of chasing them, I gave up & resorted to sticking pins in voodoo dolls. It's a shame they haven't improved.