1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE-100 pixel problem. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kramer, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've taken a few shots of my "Problematic Panny".

Is is a dead pixel, or dust on the blue panel?

I've taken these shots using the colored screens in the service menu to give a more accurate idea of the effect.

Total area affected approx 7-10 pixels.

It can be seen clearly from 3 times screen width away

:mad:

Opinions appreciated:confused:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Kramer

That looks like a fingerprint on a lens.

I don't think you have an out pixel - that's a cleaning issue; dust on the panel or a mark on the back of the lens.

Regards

Joe

3. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you possibly focus it a little better? It looks like it's just a smidgeon out of focus. Min would show a blur like that when it was slightly out pf focus, but when I focused perfectly a bright blue dot showed. The technique I used was focus it as good as I could and then just twisting the lens ever so slightly and walking over to the screen to see if it was focused better several times.

I have a Hitachi CP-X275W and I sent it in for repair because of this stuck open blue pixel in the middle of the picture.

Here's what mine looks like:
    [​IMG]

Tor Arne

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like the Japs have a zero-tollerance policy on "dead-pixels". Over on the avsforum there are a couple of AE100 owners who have bought from Japan and ended up sending them back for replacement due to dead pixels - 1 in one case!

The fourm member contacted the supplier - pricejapan.com I think in both cases I read about - and they contacted Panansonic to check the situation. In both cases they replied stating that Panasonic had said they will exchange and accepted they were faulty.

I wonder if a UK supplier were tackled about this what stance they would adopt - in my book if Panny Japan are happy to "reject" the product then there's no way I'd accept one over here - especially if it had 2 or 3 dead pixels.

The only downer in this case was that the purchasers had to foot the shipping costs back to Japan!

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Kramer,
    This looks like dust. The spot looks bigger than a pixel and has soft edges.

Try focussing the lens until this blue dot is sharp. If the whole picture is out of focus then it is dust on the blue LCD panel.

Regards

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lads.

I today cleaned the panel & glass just before the prism. Finished off with "aeroduster", now spotlessly clean panels!

Fired her up, & adjusted the focus precisely.

First 3 or 4 minutes, hey presto, spot gone:D

Well not exactly. On viewing the blue screen (well, one of) in the service menu, I now had a square black hole - dead pixel. Ok says I, that's not too bad, not noticeable from 1.5 times screen width.

But low & behold if it didn't revert back to it's "default" open position:mad:

It's now exactly the same as before, big bright blue spot, square shape with a tail.

I've posted a few screenshots in another thread where it's clearly visible.

The lesson to be learned here:

Dead pixel - acceptable, not noticeable during normal use.
    Open pixel - renders the projector useless for home cinema use.

Once again, thanks for the input.

Kramer.

7. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi

Sorry If I sound stupid, but I'm getting confused by this whole dead pixel thing. As I said on another post, my new AE 100 has a couple of pixels (only one noticeable really from 8ft back) which appear dead, but these two green dots certainly don't take up the space of a whole pixel, rather just the corner of one. One is on the left side and the other near the centre/bottom of the picture. They also darken a little if the image is dark. They are in focus when the projector is so I guess they're not dust.

So do dead pixels take up a whole pixel size - or can they be smaller dots like mine?

Thanks for any advice