1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE-100 need help on choosing and understanding

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Moto, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Moto

Moto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

First off i will say i have been reading the forum the past week trying to make sense of all that is going on in the Home Cinema World.

I have a couple of questions if someone would help to clarify please.

I am thinking of purchasing an AE-100 including a manual screen.

Am i right in thinking that using a HCPC using a VGA cable will give the best picture especially if downscaling from the various modes?

Where on earth can you find a long (20ft+) of VGA cable?

Does anyone know of a supplier who has 1 in that i could demo? I am in the Cheshire area but would travel.

Still don't know what Screen Door or Rainbow is could someone please put me out of my misery.

There are various aspects to HDTV that i still don't understand 1 of them being it isn't coming to the UK but, if i use a HCPC + TV Tuner card / svga input type card, then a software scaler? it would then output as HDTV? or am i completely missing the point? Reason is i have movable sat dish which can output as SVHS.

If anyone would be helpfull enough to answer even part of the above question i would most appreciate it

TIA

moto

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Moto:
    Using a HTPC and outputting an RGBHV signal to the VGA socket is possibly the way to get the best picture on most projectors, let alone the Panasonic. However, it has to be a good HTPC and the RGBin socket must be working properly. I am testing a projector from another manufacturer just now and the RGB socket is clipping white detail...I'm going to look in to this further as it's quite strange.

You could probably find a 20ft VGA lead at PC World....if you wanted a decent quality one try a Joe Fernand at TheMediaFactory(I'm sure he could get a VanDamme one), or me, or the folk supplying the projector....

Rainbow effect you can read about in the footnotes on my article about DLP projection on my website. Screendoor is the ability to see the individual pixels that make up a picture as the gap between each pixel is too big. Smaller the gap, less easy to see each pixel. LCD's usually have bigger gap than DLP's which have a bigger gap than D'ila(lcos) technology. Rainbow is only a problem with single chip DLP's.

Hope this is some use,

Gordon

3. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Moto

I have just setup a PT-AE100 on a big pull down screen in the living room, ive only got DVD running through it via S-Video but your quite welcome to come and see it one evening.

I'm in Macclesfield.

Cheers
    Anim

4. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  5. charlie

charlie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anim,

Incredibly cheeky of me :cool: , I am a bit of a regular over at www.thedvdforums.com , and the new Panny has raised the obsession just a little :)

I need this projector :D , and am desperately trying to find somewhere to check one out, but half the dealers around here haven't even heard of this yet :rolleyes:

I know the invite wasn't directed at me, but if you could be so kind as to extend it I would certainly come over and check it out. I also live in Cheshire, between Warrington and Knutsford, so Macc is pretty close to me. Apologies for being intrusive, but I am sure you understand as you already own one of these things!

Charlie

6. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only slight problem is that the AE-100 does not seem to allow the wonders of Progressive Scan on a PAL signal.

Pity, I have plenty of Region 1's but if I deceided to buy a disc at WHSmith and played it through my projector I would not get the best picture from it.

In saying that it wouldn't be that bad either, but it is a compromise you will have to live with. Wonder if the AE-200 will have it?

Regards

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I'm not sure if any projectors in the price bracked of the panasonic support pal progressive.

Even the interlaced picture looks great to me. Bear in mind that the image will actually be progressive anyway (I think), as thats how LCDs work. You will always be seeing 480 lines on the screen, so no flickering.

I think before people start complaining that they need $300 transcoders and HD boxes and HTPCs, they should have a look via S-Video or component first. It'll probably be fine.

8. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Charlie

You can come around and take a look for sure, I am new to projectors and probably dont have it setup as best as can be but the picture on DVD via s-Video looks great to me. My room is suitable for night viewing only as the daylight through our curtains washes the picture out. Give me a pm and I will send you my postcode (www.multimap.co.uk) so you can find where I am.

Tuesday night after 6pm would be best for me.

Cheers
    Anim

9. charlie

charlie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Anim,

Have sent you a pm :)

Charlie

10. Moto

Moto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I went out yesterday to demo a couple of pj's

I looked at the new sony cineza £1800 or so, a toshiba mt3 £2200 and mt7 £3700, could have looked at a sim2 and sony 11ht but these 2 and the mt7 are really out of my price range

Although i didn't find a panasonic to look at it gave me chance to see a couple of the differences. (all were viewed using a sony dvd + svhs connection)

Anim it is a very kind offer to allow me to come and have a look at your pj. Tuesday would be fine i'll send you a pm in a min.

Anyone any thoughts on the difference between the panasonic and the toshiba mt3 (the tosh seemed alot better than the sony)

Thanks

moto