Answered AE 1 Reference

thedude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Ive just purchased a pair of these and they arrive sometime this week. I wont be putting them on stands as i dont have the space in my living room, i do however have work tops along the back wall which is sturdy and level. Do you think this will offer enough support ?

it's one of those questions only you can answer by trying them i'm afraid
there are various methods of isolating them from the shelf should the need arise

It's a shame you can't standmount them as the stands with your model speakers and the wood strip down the middle, look awesome.

Acoustic Energy Reference Speaker Stands

The problem I think becomes how do you isolate the speakers so the vibration of the cabinets into associated work tops, doesn't colour the sound of the speakers. It might be small levels of vibration but it can have an effect. I know the Townshend isolating podiums for floorstanders work well, albeit I'm not advocating them because they are ridiculously expensive, but the idea of them do work and I'm sure cheaper alternates can do the same thing. Basically a 'free floating' platform that is as inert with its feet as possible. I think they have very low resistance joints.

Something along the lines of the below are something you could try, whether they fit I don't know, but just to give an idea. They also allow tilt so the tweeter point towards your ears at listening level, not above it, which is what you want. I'd take advice from dealers as to what you could use that really works well and is inexpensive, but I think the problem might be that dealers tend to mount stand mounters on the corresponding make mount, and floorstanders don't tend to have anything underneath, so maybe a dealer won't be too clued up either. I doubt it's something they sell a lot of too so it may come down to experimentation.

IsoAcoustics L8R155 Speaker Stands (pair) - Speaker Stands - Accessories - Studiospares

TBH I think these mounts look ridiculous, although they might do the job, but they will trash the look of your speakers. If the sound on the work top is ok and it's just a compromise you are happy with, go with it, but for such classy speakers you should really try and stand mount them I'd say and rearrange furniture if you can. That's what I'd try and do for a combination of looks and isolating function. Saying that though if you can get a smaller cheaper design of the same ilk as the Townsend podium for your speakers, they do look kind of innocuous and flat . See link for how they look. The speaker rests on the platform and the feet do the isolating job. I don't know if you can get cheaper alternates then these for smaller speakers, but knowing these work, that's what I'd be looking to see is possiblenor not, if I was placing speakers on a shelf / worktop etc. A guy at the Bristol hi fi show was demoing them with vibration metres on top of a pmc fact 12 speaker on its normal spikes and another fact 12 on the podium with a meter. The speakers were not playing but stamping your foot close, the normal speakers vibration was higher than the other mounted one. I've also heard people who own decent systems say these podiums work well, so surely there must be a cheaper alternative! A few engineering boffins I'm sure could make them cheaper than Townshend.

Seismic Isolation Podiums for speakers and sub-woofer

Last edited:
If you are stuck I think a correctly sized tile or similar bluetacked to the surface, with the speaker bluetacked to the tile might help. Not sure if bluetac is good for the speaker surface on those models

1491475251223.jpeg

Well they have arrived, i think as they are so close to the wall i may need to get some bungs. I can't move then too close out because of my kids and their ability to stick fingers and poke stuff and the other plinth is a little shorter.

So this is what they are like.

Not sure if it helps seeing the pictures to know the situation

They look cool. The base seems solid but if it were me I'd still isolate them if possible

If you are stuck I think a correctly sized tile or similar bluetacked to the surface, with the speaker bluetacked to the tile might help. Not sure if bluetac is good for the speaker surface on those models

My understanding from what I've heard a lot of people say though, is that doing that often changes the level at which bass comes in, but it doesn't help the way the speakers connection with the surface will still colour it's sound. And a worktop or unit like yours is going to be less sturdy than a floor for the perspective of how sound resonates. I defo reckon a cheapish isolating platform is the ticket if it looks good and agree with muljao

But from your picture it looks like you have no alternative. Have you got a telly in the middle. A wider shot of your layout and room might help too if you don't mind.

IMG_20170406_114805.jpg
IMG_20170406_114755.jpg

Sorry had to have a quick tidy of kids toys ;)

Nice room. How about putting plants or ornaments etc where the speakers are, then standmount the speakers in front. That would be a lot better for the speakers.
But sorry I'll try and not sound like someone from grand designs.

That could be a solution but then it's taking away over a foot of the living room and having them in a walkway and infront of a radiator.

And don't worry esthesitics is always important gone are the days when i could just have a set up for sound and taste, now it's a compromise.

The speakers don't look like they have any tappings on the underside from manual. Why would they as stand mounts, if not maybe for isolating positioning on bookcases etc ?. The only other thing I was going to suggest is use any spikes into washer cups to isolate them a bit more, but you can't do that if there are no tappings?
I think keep as is or isolating platforms like I suggest is best way. As a test see if they sound different mounting on 5ps, for time being maybe. Also a temporary test could be buying cheap granite plinths.
Cheers

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I found it odd that there were no spikes at the bottom of them or holes. I'll have a play and see what i like the best. I may make a stand for them or something i don't want it to be to high or they then look intrusive and then I'll be in the bad books

I am wondering if i made my own stands if they would suffice. I have more wood and could add some nice spikes to the bottom of them and use some Acoustic foam at the top to help with vibrations

I am wondering if i made my own stands if they would suffice. I have more wood and could add some nice spikes to the bottom of them and use some Acoustic foam at the top to help with vibrations
Yes, of course. All stands got to be made by someone :) . I am making stands this weekend for a set of studio monitors I'm putting is a shed/den. I have use the wood left over from my decking somewhere ;)

i struggled to find stands that weren't over 8" of height. What i have done is cut down some oak worktop this is solid oak. I've made two A4 plinths. I've bought some spikes that screw in so i will use those to keep them looking pretty. I have also ordered some anti vibration foam heavy duty stuff but it's thin; rather than audio ive done for workshop, i want to see if the anti vibration stuff is any good it will also mean i wont have to see it like i would with lots of foam. All else fails they will just sit straight on the wood. I'm awaiting the bits and pieces to come through the door I'll report back once they are here.

i struggled to find stands that weren't over 8" of height. What i have done is cut down some oak worktop this is solid oak. I've made two A4 plinths. I've bought some spikes that screw in so i will use those to keep them looking pretty. I have also ordered some anti vibration foam heavy duty stuff but it's thin; rather than audio ive done for workshop, i want to see if the anti vibration stuff is any good it will also mean i wont have to see it like i would with lots of foam. All else fails they will just sit straight on the wood. I'm awaiting the bits and pieces to come through the door I'll report back once they are here.

You weren't tempted or inquisitive of my suggestion around checking out if maybe someone makes similar Townshend type mounts for small speakers at much lower price? Or you are dubious they would not work? If you are not sure you should speak to people who have used these devices and got serious improvements. I'm not advocating the spend on Townshend but saying there must be someone making cheaper devices and I know they really do work.

If I'm honest I don't reckon adding other chunks of wood is sensible to £1600 ish speakers and likely colouring sound, even with foam which I'd doubt would have much effect. You are maybe messing too much with the design of the speakers I'd say.

If I wanted to do a diy project I maybe would look at making a Townshend type device from off the shelf components, but you've started now so sorry if my comments are a bit after the event

You weren't tempted or inquisitive of my suggestion around checking out if maybe someone makes similar Townshend type mounts for small speakers at much lower price? Or you are dubious they would not work? If you are not sure you should speak to people who have used these devices and got serious improvements. I'm not advocating the spend on Townshend but saying there must be someone making cheaper devices and I know they really do work.

If I'm honest I don't reckon adding other chunks of wood is sensible to £1600 ish speakers and likely colouring sound, even with foam which I'd doubt would have much effect. You are maybe messing too much with the design of the speakers I'd say.

If I wanted to do a diy project I maybe would look at making a Townshend type device from off the shelf components, but you've started now so sorry if my comments are a bit after the event
All feedback is welcome. I've pretty much made them so it wasn't like a hard job I'll see what it's like. They should be isolated from the wood below which in theory will separate the sound. The woods only 40mm thick and it's not hollow. I'm not sure how much granite would do in comparison but trial and error may help.
I've also got some foam coming for the ports again i can try and see how it effects them.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Well whoever told me that blocked wood wouldn't work lied.
I need to say wow!
Home made speaker stands for about £30. Granted i had some solid oak lying around but still.

I've used spikes and bolt holes. I've then settled them on 5ps as the idiots i bought them from didn't send me the right bits. Anyways that a side the plinths are 30cm by 25cm i then have some draper anti vibration foam used for heavy duty machines supposedly and it's just night and day from before. The bass doesn't go straight into my hollow units the speakers are now at ear level for the tweeters. All in all i am pretty happy. Going to try some bungs as well when they arrive and see if they sound different.

IMG_20170408_145005.jpg
IMG_20170408_145011.jpg
IMG_20170408_145024.jpg

Nice one.

Rather than the 5 ps I'd maybe use a domed washer for stability too. Not these as expensive but something cheap and similar to spread any micro vibrations.

I'd also try using the sorbothane recommended by Kc rather than a foam anti vibration pad, and see what it does to sq, if anything. Trying at all volumes. You want to try and have the speakers contact points with the wood surface as small as possible. I'd be somewhat dubious the foam pad will do that better than the sorbothane pads. You could also maybe try adding weight to the wood block to increase its mass and screw some lead onto it underneath.

s-l200.jpg

Look at this on eBay
Original Chord Silent Mount SM5 - 4 x 50mm dia speaker isolation mount (4 pcs)

They look good with your set up and nice diy skills! I still reckon if I got someone to make some mounts copying the Townshend podiums, they would sound better. But as a homemade solution, great.

Haha £299!!
I read up on foam and the sorbothane pads so may give those a try I'd already bought by then though. This isn't rubbish foam I've bought some draper for machining it's just to stop vibrations doesn't soak up noise or claim to be for acoustics. It's doing a good job without its not quite so good and it holds the speakers as well. the speakers are 10kg each about so there is some good weight in them. I was really surprised that the stands worked mainly cause I'm a sucker and usually just buy stuff and take it for granted first time I've actually not bought stands and then noticed it. But because of where they are they need to blend in like furniture and they do I'll look at something better than 5ps but I ideally don't want to start adding too many colour's to the set up just in case someone moans!! And I'm also trying to buy an amp as well so the £300 maybe spent better else where

Oh defo not those stupid mounts at that price, just as an illustration of the type. They saw someone coming with that price for what it appears to be just metal.

You could maybe try and see if you can get a stick on sorbothane pad into a spike, thus again limiting the contact points. For all the technicalities of the pad you bought I'd still reckon if contact points are tiny they will work better to remove isolations. But only a geuss, but you can only but experiment.

I do have some coming they just didn't send them! Bloody idiots

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom