Advive for NAS newby.

Nobbygas

Standard Member
What is your budget? (including drives)
I'd be happy to go to 300 pounds.

What usable capacity do you need?
I'm looking for a 2x1Tb system, using RAID 1.

What is your backup strategy? And have you budgeted for that?
I shall have a 1Tb backup hard-disk that I hope can be used via USB?

What is your performance expectation?
It will be only used for home, so holding the photo collection, videos from camcorder and the odd film for streaming to the Samsung UE468000 tv.
I don't expect heavy access, so performance is not a top priority. Reliability and ease-of-use are more important. I'm also hoping my partner can use her iPad to connect remotely to the storage? Is this possible?

What is you network infrastructure?
I have a wire/wireless connection of 100mbit. Each room in the house has two network sockets that can connect to a standard Deutsche Telekom router. Some devices, like my PC and television are connected by wire, but we have a laptop and Blu-Ray player that connect wireless.

Can anyone offer me some advice on a NAS system that maybe I should take a look at?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

STdrez625

Banned
I would think you can look at the three main contenders Qnap Synology and RaedyNAS .
I have NO experience with any of these three companys but they all get reasonable rep AFAIK.
they all produce good 2 bay devices that would fulfil your needs and I cant see any great differential to mark any out as better ow worse than the others .. except maybe the colour of the box and prices (readynas seems to be a bit cheaper at the mo as they are giving disks away b4 crimbo).
I know nothing of the Linkstation (Mr Fawlty)

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom