Advise with New Surround Speakers to go with Possibly Kef R Series upgrade?

obilby

Hi There, Hope to get some advise with regards to upgrading my system.

I’ve Currently got the Focal Chora System (Focal Chora 826-D x2, Chora 806 x2 for Surrounds & Chora Centre) but looking at changing to make a bit more space in our living room plus I really loved the R3s when I listened to them but went down with the best offer at the time route!
Also now realising I don’t need towers as my Sub does most of that job.

I’m 100% set on getting the Kef R3 Series for the fronts and RC2 centre (and eventually R series front upfiring Atmos) but i'm a bit stuck on the surrounds.

I’m thinking of going down the Bipole route as ideally I want to get something that is not too big and can be wall mounted. The speakers I currently have take far too much space and are basically right in my ears as the sofa is approx 40-50cm from the back wall.

I also heard that if the sofa is close to the back wall Bipole is a good idea and more immersive especially if you don’t make use of the back surrounds for 7.1 but not sure how true this is?

The speakers I’ve seen are...
Monitor Audio Silver FX
Definitive Technology SR9040 or SR9080

Failing that I was also thinking Kef T301 vs T101

Does anyone have any experience with these speakers and would they be ok mixing with the Kef R Series in the front or any other recommendation you have would be greatly appreciated.

The speakers I get will be used with the NAD T778 Receiver.
We mainly use the system more for Music than Movies (normally listening via all speakers in surround as odd as it sounds)

I also currently have the SVS Prime Elevation speakers on the top of the back wall for rear Atmos (this may sound stupid but until I sort the front Atmos out can these be used as front Atmos I.e. plugged in the Height 1 port of the AV even though they are at the back? If this could work would I even need front Atmos speakers in the end and just use 5.1.2?

I have attached a photo so you can get an idea of the rear of the room for space and where my current Atmos are.
My living room is not that big, approx 5.20m x 3.50m

Many thanks in advance for your help.

obilby

forgot to add photo of rear
PXL_20220213_163342966.MP.jpg

Marshall Mike

I can’t comment on how good the Definitive Technology speakers are as I’ve never heard of them, but the Silver FX are a very popular choice. I have them mounted on my rear wall too as my couch is against the wall.

As for the heights, yes you plug them into the height 1 speaker terminals and then set them as Top Rear in the speaker set up menu prior to running Dirac.

obilby

I think most likely I will go for the Silver Fx as I'm hearing really good things about them. Would it matter having three different brands of speakers in the setup? I.e SVS for the rear Atmos, Monitor Audio Silver For the surrounds and Kef R's for all the fronts? Does anyone have any experience with the SVS Ultra Surrounds? Although I really like the look of the Silver FX and know Monitor Audio are good.

Marshall Mike

The most important speakers to match are the front three, L/C/R. After that, it’s down to your own OCD and how well you think they all blend together. I match two brands, a mix of MA Gold and Silver plus Kef R8a’s for my heights.

obilby

Definitely, although my OCD is bad! I was looking at the Gold 100s and Centre for the front with the Silver FX for the rear but I couldn't see a Atmos upfiring that would sit on the front two speakers, I also believe the front two Gold 100 are 4ohm (no idea if that's a issue at all, don't really understand ohms) Do you have the Gold's for the front, are they good?

Marshall Mike

Definitely, although my OCD is bad! I was looking at the Gold 100s and Centre for the front with the Silver FX for the rear but I couldn't see a Atmos upfiring that would sit on the front two speakers, I also believe the front two Gold 100 are 4ohm (no idea if that's a issue at all, don't really understand ohms) Do you have the Gold's for the front, are they good?
Yes they are good. I love listening to music on them and movies sound amazing. I haven’t ever heard the Kefs you are looking at though so can’t compare, but if you can, go and demo each of them and see which you prefer.

I also have the T778 AVR and it drives the Golds no problem.

You could add in another couple of prime elevation speakers mounted on the front wall, in line with the L&R and assign them as Top Front to get 5.1.4. I think that would be preferential over an Atmos Enabled speaker sitting on top of your fronts.

Kef also do the R8a speakers that can be wall mounted as heights if you go with Kef. If you go with MA, then there are Atmos Enabled speakers in the Silver range to look at which can also be mounted as heights. Both can sit on top of the fronts if you can’t wall mount.

obilby

Definitely sounds worth listening to the two to compare, both the Kef and MA Gold are in a similar price bracket which isn't too much of a problem and then I could go for the Silver FX for the Surround keeping with the same brand. Then it's just a matter of sorting the front Atmos maybe even at a later time. Thank you for your advice, will definitely compare the two.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom