1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise requested

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Johan, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Johan

Johan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all, my first posting on this site and I would like to ask your advise, comments on a combination I’m planning to get with my Sony KV36FS76 TV and which speaker package would complete this setup? I have a budget of around ₤1500 for this all. Do I need anything else to enhance this, did I forget something important?

DVD Sony DVP-NS930
    Receiver Sony STRDB2000 or 1080
    Freeview Nokia Mediamaster 221T

Any advice greatly appreciated to help my first steps into this audio-visual world.
    Many thanks in advance.

Johan
    :hiya:

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No gripes with any of the kit you mention, Unbeatable.com had the STRDB1080b advertised at £250, no idea if they've still any in stock however. In which case I'd opt for the STRDB2000.

Speaker packages are subjective. Do you mind having large speakers taking up a fair amount of space in your listening room? Or would you rather have smaller discrete speakers which are less imposing?

Oh and, welcome to A/V Forums :)

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,402
    Only problem is that you posted a question about speakers in the DVD Players forum.
    Moved to speakers forum.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't have to buy all Sony gear you know.

IMO there are better AV amps from other manufacturers- Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, NAD, Arcam, Rotel, Pioneer etc.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but the DVPNS930 and STRDB2000 are still fine products in their price classes, regardless of brand :)

6. Johan

Johan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for all the replies

Dimmy: Don’t really mind their size (it’s for a 5 by 5 meter room with high ceiling), the quality is more important, have some infinity kappa 5 speakers hooked up to my hifi and very happy with those, would it be possible to add to those or is it better to buy a speaker package?

Spectre: sorry I’ve posted in the wrong section.

Nathan: can you recommend any AV amps in the same price bracket (₤ 350), my reason to buy all Sony was to avoid any possible compatibility problems.

As already said thanks all for taking the time replying to my questions, trying to read up as much as I can but as a AV novice glad to be able to tap in all you know-how.

Johan

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Infinity Kappa 5 speakers aren't speakers I'm familiar with, so I can't really comment on them.

What speaker package is best for your receiver depends entirely on how much you'd want to spend. Off the top of my head I'd recommend Acoustic Energy's Aegis Evo speakers, Mission's M5 series/M7i series, or B&W's DM600 S3 series.