1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise re possible garage conversion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by spikeyboyo, Oct 13, 2005.

1. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Just been looking at some of your projects / conversions and some really nice stuff going on.

Now to my question :)

Moved house about a year ago to a 4 bed semi that had been extended out the back - part of the requirement was i needed a room for my HT :) the problem now is that even though the house we have is quite big our 2 1/2 year olds toys are taking over big time plus our second child is due in about 14 days - yeah going back to nappies ;) so the room that my current HT is in really needs to be made a play room (hell it already is i just have to move everything when i want to watch a film, plus toys all over loung as well :mad: if any of you have kids you know how bad they take over a house :eek: )

So now im thinking of converting the garage for purpose built HT with no toys in it :clap: what sort of size do you recommend as a minimum (width x length) for HT baring in mined the equipment i will be putting in (see sig and current set up
    http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~samega/Pictures/142_4208.JPG
    http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~samega/Pictures/142_4209.JPG )

Or what sort of sizes have you guys got and what equipment / screen size fitted.

Also as the 2 1/2 year olds bedroom is above the garage sound proofing is going to be an issue, how good can sound proofing be and how expensive so that it wont wake him up when we watch films at night :)

Thanks in advance.

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Ideal room dimensions will depend on the room size you start out with, i have a list of ideal dimensions somewhere hear and will dig them out for you.

Soundproofing can be achieved in a few ways, from MLV to Resilient Channel and GreenGlue. All have their own merits.

i will post more info when i find it, rather pushed today though... :smashin:

3. Jamiroquai78

Jamiroquai78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did a very similar thing to what you are suggesting however my garage is away from the house.

Mine ended up 12' x 8' with a 96" screen, ideal for us.

The full details are under My Garage to HC conversion 'live' if your interested