Question Advise please: 'night movie' projector, darkened room, cca 1200€

Martin Kohout

Novice Member
Hello everyone,

Could anyone advise me on my choice for a FullHD projector? I'm looking for one I could use to screen my short film in two exhibitions next year. The film is shot at night and therefore I need a good reproduction of the blacks. It will be graded rather soft with maximum whites around 230 (therefore projectors clipping the whites a bit won't be a problem). It will be in rooms devoted solely to the projection and so I can paint the walls as needed, or generally control the light in the room. I'd prefer to paint the walls dark gray or almost black so that the viewer doesn't watch the room so much. Projection distance will be between 4 to 5 meters (13,2 to 16,5 feet) in spaces around 25 to 35m2. My max budget is about 1200€ (1300$).

So far I have these favorites and one of the things that I'm not sure about is that I'm comparing reviews that are of various age.

Optoma HD50
50.000: 1, DLP, 2.200 Lumen
Optoma HD50 Projector Review

Epson EH-TW 6600
70.000:1, 3LCD, 2.500 Lumen
Epson EH-TW6600 review
Epson EH-TW6600 3D Heimkino 3LCD-Projektor (Full HD 1080p, H & V Lensh-Shift, 2.500 Lumen Weiß & Farbhelligkeit, 70.000:1 Kontrast, 2x HDMI (1x MHL), 1,6x fach Zoom, inkl. 1x 3D Brille) schwarz: Sophie Reuschle: Amazon.de: Heimkino, TV & Video

Or a second hand Epson Home Cinema 5030 with a new lamp?
Epson Home Cinema 5030UB Home Theater Projector Review
Epson Home Cinema 5030 UB Home Theater Projector Review - Projector Reviews

Here few screens from the raw film material with very basic color correction for illustration.

Thank you in advance for any tips!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom