NivBose

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am currently running an X4500H 5.1.2 setup in the living room and would like to get a home cinema set up in one of our spare bedrooms upstairs. Initially, I was planning to get the garage converted but just found out, it won't stick to my low budget. So I'm thinking of switching to this plan to get one of two spare bedrooms for this.

I am concerned about the sound isolation, projector screen and viewing distance. This is the measurement of the room and it is an end-terrace house.

I would like to go with a 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 setup here with one row of seating.

Will I be able to isolate the sound with soundproofing panels?
What's the max projector screen size I can accommodate here and which way would it be better, facing windows or the long wall? I am moving my living room speakers (Mission Towers and Surrounds) here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Many Thanks
Niv

1637525823432.png
1637526357137.png

Attachments

• 1637525973302.png
    1637525973302.png
    373.4 KB · Views: 44
Hi NivBose

Why not 7.1.4? If it isn't possible, 5.1.4 is probably the best choice.

I'm guessing you are talking about broadband absorber panels, and if so, those won't help insulating the room. You should have them, but to treat the room acoustically. Meaning, to avoid echoes and so on.

What's the max projector screen size I can accommodate here and which way would it be better, facing windows or the long wall?

Unless you get an UST projector, your only option is to put the screen on the right wall.

As above containing the sound within a room is very different to room acoustic treatments and I suspect the cost to create a soundproof space within your spare bedroom is going to blow your budget.

The suitability of the spare bedroom and budget required to soundproof that space will very much depend on the occupancy, and occupants, of the rooms around it!

What is the budget you arrived at for the garage conversion?

Joe

Hi NivBose

Why not 7.1.4? If it isn't possible, 5.1.4 is probably the best choice.

I'm guessing you are talking about broadband absorber panels, and if so, those won't help insulating the room. You should have them, but to treat the room acoustically. Meaning, to avoid echoes and so on.

What's the max projector screen size I can accommodate here and which way would it be better, facing windows or the long wall?

Unless you get an UST projector, your only option is to put the screen on the right wall.
Thank you for the recommendations.

I don't have an external amp so I believe X4500H powers only 9 channels? So yes, I may go for 5.1.4 in the end.

With a UST Projector, do you think I can get a good viewing distance from a 120" screen in that 2.6m space? I believe 4 atmos speakers may be too much in that direction, right?

As above containing the sound within a room is very different to room acoustic treatments and I suspect the cost to create a soundproof space within your spare bedroom is going to blow your budget.

The suitability of the spare bedroom and budget required to soundproof that space will very much depend on the occupancy, and occupants, of the rooms around it!

What is the budget you arrived at for the garage conversion?

Joe
Hi Joe

Yea the quote I had was ÂŁ6000 (materials + Labour) and the bedroom work would be a temporary arrangement for max a year to secure the funding. I did test the sound with a 2.1 system at its max and it does leak quite a bit of sound outside. I don't want it to be totally soundproof. So keeping things like heavy curtains/rug and Rockwool panels won't help here?

Most of the time, we watch movies together (wife and 7-year-old daughter)

Thank you

hi mate, i have a 2nd ht room that is 4.6 long and 2.4 wide (window on the 2.4m wall) and you wont be getting a 120" screen plus speakers etc at the front of that window end.

as for 120" along that side wall that is 2.6m deep?.. allow for seating, screen from wall etc and you are probably looking at 2.3m max seated eye to screen. too close imo for a 120" 16:9 screen as fast action/gaming could cause eye strain. in my main dedicated ht room my 123" 16:9 is 3.3 m to front row and that can mean a lot of looking up in a normal non reclining chair.

as for ust pj i think you need a good screen and they are not cheap.

so sit close to a smaller screen on that wide side gives you similar immersion to a large scree/sitting further away... or drop the screen to maybe 100" on the window wall. remember seating against the wall is no good for sound. the room length ways could do 4 atmos but wont be doing 4 going the 2.6m route.

you have a good avr and in that room i would try a 5.2.2 set up and a 5.2.4 set up. my room has 5.1 but recently picked up the x3600h to try both of those. looking at my room i could not comfortably accept facing my 4.6m long wall from 2.4m away, go length for sure. at least try both temporarily before committing.

plenty of ideas around

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom