advise on surround system, mainly picture

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mark211277, Jan 5, 2007.

1. mark211277

mark211277
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a dvd player with integrated surround. Problem is I bought an LG (which you may see from my other thread) and the picture quality is terrible on a HD tv. Obviously i realise normal DVD players aren't HD but my sony dvd player displays a really crisp edged picture and black is black yet the LG has what can only be described as colour clash at the edge of stuff and black is like a dirty grey. Can anybody advise on any systems which will give a good picture (obviously sound IS an issue) for around £150-£200. I've spotted the Sony DAV-DZ111. Does anybody have this and if so what's the picture quality like, and if you have a HD tv too? Thanks to anybody who replies.

2. nry

nry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Are both the Sony and LG players using either component or RGB? If the Sony is on component/RGB and the LG is only on composite then you should notice substantial difference in quality as you describe.

If you have tested both using the exact same connection type (and ensured the LG and Sony are both setup the same for video output) then it seems the LG is at 'fault'.

3. mark211277

mark211277
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well this is where i'm gonna look like a thicko. what's the diff (looks wise)between component and RGB, (and composite)? it's currently connected with a standard scart lead but the old sony was too.

4. nry

nry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Composite: generally a yellow ended cable, will also need a red cable and white cable to carry the audio. Often this plugs into a Scart adapter that lets you run composite into your TV via a Scart connection. Composite merges all picture information onto a single cable, generally making a pigs ear of it at the same time.

Component: A Red cable, Green cable and Blue cable, each carrying the relevant colour information (green also carries luminance info I think). As per composite, a seperate Red cable and seperate white cable are required to carry audio.

RGB: A Scart (The oblong-ish plug) specific (?) connection that, similar to component, carries Red, Green and Blue on seperate wires. Further wires carry the audio information. You need a fully wired (all 21 pins of the Scart lead) to make use of this, or possibly a dedicated RGB Scart lead plus a method of carrying audio aswell.

In order of 'quality', with 1 being the best:

1) Component (lets you run progressive scan aswell, another question perchance!)
    2) RGB Scart
    3) Composite

The difference between composite and either RGB Scart or component should be very very noticeable, especially on a large TV or HD TV.

5. mark211277

mark211277
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant that does clear things up thanks.