1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advise on subs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ash007, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never owned a sub. Can they be put pretty much anywhere? Would it make any difference if it was behind me (about 6 ft)(this is the only gap in my room) or does it need to be in front near the tv.

Also can they be set so that it works just with films and not music? (Ive got Amp-Denon3802).

I also noticed that some subs have a downward facing speaker. Why is this? For these do u have to have a hard floor rather than carpet or doesn't it matter.

Cheers,
    Ash

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    You could put the sub anywhere you wanted but whether it would sound at its optimum is a different matter, you really need to play around and find the best spot for it. It might be behind you, in front of the tv or off to one side, depends on your room.

With the Denon you can turn off the sub in Direct mode, just go into Mode Select, Channel Level and reduce the Sub down to -12db and then OFF.

You´re going to need someone with a bit more knowledge of room acoustics than me, to answer the ins & outs of subs, floors and their interaction!!

3. andy-p

andy-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in a similar position to you. I was also unable to get a satisfactory answer to the question of outward and downward firing driver differences.

Here's a very informative (obviously!) reply from Eric at REL:-

During the development of the original 'ST' range of Rel Sub Bass Systems it was found that the downward firing driver gave greater depth and better sound distribution when set up particularly in a corner position in the room. It also made it easier to accommodate the length of port required for tuning. The 'Q' range of Rel Sub Bass Systems was developed to meet the needs of the home cinema market. Often the sub is concealed, perhaps behind an acoustically transparent partition or even in a cabinet, in these circumstances the forward firing driver is preferable.

Hope this helps.

Andy P.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Now we know!!

cheers for that.:)

5. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technically, there is a slight advantage to a forward firing driver than a downward firing driver. This is because the weight of the cone, dustcap and motor comes into play for a downward firing driver, taking the voice coil slightly out of the centre of the magnet limiting it's excursion in the downward direction, nothing to get worked up about though.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as regards the carpet.....

carpet will act to deaden the sound and reduce boomiiness. A solid uniform floor allows standing waves to be exist hence giving rise to potentiall unwanted frequencies.

ad

7. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Friend of mine has his sub behind his sofa, and the rest of the speakers as you would expect.

Watching films I find the sub behind you mildly disturbing. But part of this may be due to the fact that his amp doesnt allow you to specify hte distance/time delay for the LFE channel. So not only does the LFE come from a different direction, behind you (I can still tell with the upper sub frequencies where it is), but the timing is not quite right.

When he plays Stereo music the whole thing is laugable. So disjointed from the front speaker pairs. I have told him after beers but he just cant get what I am saying.

My Sub is at the front between the main speakers. Sounds fine to me.

Just my thoughts.
    Rog