Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Advise on Sub to B&W 705

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nissle, Jan 8, 2005.

1. nissle

nissle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Need some advice!

I purchased B&W 705 as music/front speakers, Denon 3805 Amp and Nordost speaker cables. I'm now looking to add a sub..

Working on a 5.1 setup :).

I initially looked at the B&W PV1 but was not to impressed..

have been listening to Rel q150 and Rel Quake and in my opinion they are better subs then PV1. According to the guy in the store there is no big difference besides that the q 150 can handle larger rooms...

I have a limited space for the sub, rest of my family (wife) does no like big boxes in the living room.. :confused:

I really need some advice.. :lease:

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I can highly reccommend the B&W ASW750 which will go nicely with your 705's. It retails at £1200 but you should be able to get a couple hundred quid off at a decent dealer.
    It's not huge but it's not as compact as the Rel's you mention. They are over priced and over rated.
    However, if you happen to particularly like what you have heard with Rel, I suggest looking at a BK XLS200 which is a very similar clone to the Rel Q200E but costs about half the price.

I can also reccommend the B&W ASW675. It does'nt go down as low as the 750 and bass instruments (fretless bass, double bass, etc.) don't sound quite as refined, but it packs a punch and is a very nice compact sub. My wife loved mine so it's very WAF. :smashin:

There's also the Velodyne CHT and SPL range to consider, but I have not heard either so can't comment.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The Velodyne SPL range may be suitable as they are compact and powerful. I haven't heard the current mark 2 range but the mark 1's were good subs, if a little expensive in the UK.

4. Silversurfer

Silversurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With my 705's I have the Velodyne CHT12-R,having tried other sub's I find the Velodyne intergrates well.

5. nissle

nissle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for all your help

I have some interesting weeks in front of me... I will listen to the B&W (675 & 7XX) and Velodyne next week, interesting to se how they compare to the Rel sub

I will post my progress : thumbsup:

6. nissle

nissle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Well I spent the day listening to Sub:s. I listen to 4 subs REL q150, REL Stampede, Mosscade Titan 7.4 and Velodyne dd10. They only had the dd10 superb sub...

My conclusions don't like REL..

Mosscade sounded really good smooth and firm, I was really impressed. Does anyone have any experience of this sub?

All the stores that I went to only had the Velodyne dd10, a bit to expensive.. :thumbsup:

Will call the importer tomorrow to find out who has the CHT & SPL series sub for demo.

I still have to will listen to B&W ASW675 and ASW700.

I noticed that Stellavision recommend the ASW750 not the ASW700 any reason for that??

7. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi, the reason is 750(1000Watts) is twice the power of 700 which is 500watt, bigger drive unit and cabinet, 700 is same as 675(only cabinet and drive unti different) that is why 675 is great value nearly identical performance to 700 cost only £650,I have used 675 and it is brilliant sub my full recomondetion :thumbsup:
    my personal advice would be either get 2 of 675 or just get 750. you can't go wrong with it,ofcourse if your budget allows.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I have never even heard of Mosscade. A quick search using Google didn't find many websites and none of them were UK sites anyway so I would guess that it isn't sold over here.

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    700 is 500 watt driven
    750 is 1000 watt driven

700 has a 10" driver
    750 has a 12" driver

The 750 also has a bigger cabinet. With it's larger specifications it can go lower, louder and move more air than the 700.

I don't think I would reccommend two ASW675's. It is a good sub, but two could be a nightmare to setup and the money could be better spent on one larger sub.