Advise on new system please.

extremecapture

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I would really appreciate the thoughts from some of you guys that are more up there with the latest Hi-Fi than what i am.

I'm looking at installing a new system in our house, but, this all has to be done within in a budget of 2k.

My current system is quite old now....

Linn Classik Music (its a good 10 year plus old)
Bose 301 speakers ( same sort of age) at least i think they are 301s.
Sonos Connect, now listening to all music from Pc.
Old Onkyo micro system powering two Kef outdoor speakers for the patio.

To be honest, i have really enjoyed the performance that this combination has given us over the years, its fills a small/ medium room and will go very loud for many party's that we have enjoyed.

We are having some building work done, which is going to double the size of the listening room.

My initial thoughts was to ditch everything and go Sonos route. This would be 2 Play 5s and Sonos sub in the lounge. Play 3 in the bathroom and a Sonos amp to power the outdoor speakers. The biggest criteria from the wife is that she doesn't want speakers on stands, the speakers must be wall mounted which isn't a problem with the Sonos.

My thoughts are now going towards system separates again.

Roksan Candy K2 or Arcam FMJ A19 amp powering Bowers and Wilkins 685 s2 Speakers using the sonos connect.
Sonos amp for the outdoors and Sonos Play 3 for the bathroom.

Any reconsiderations from you guys for a alternative to the above, the speakers as i have mentioned before need to be wall mounted, and all the reviews for the BWs say they need to be given quite a lot of space around them, so i don't know whether it would be suitable to mount them on wall brackets.

Any help, thoughts or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Can't fault anything there but You may want to consider adding a decent dac in between the sonos and K2\A19 amp. While OK, the Connect's onboard dac can be much bettered. Something like the Arcam Dac, Rega or AudioLab Q-Dac would do the setup justice.

If you are still intending to use a sub, you could look at subs from BK like a XLS200 or 400 - room size depending. the Sonos sub does a job as well as it can but can't compare to a equivalent priced sub from BK, which would be the Monolith. And it is like what the name suggests.

Since the she does not want speaker on stands, is she flexible enough to have floorstanders? Its not easy to integrate a sub into a stereo setup. Lots of fiddling and playing about to you get it right, and then hope nobody will touch the knob and move the setting only for you to start again. A good pair or Floorstanders would negate the need for a sub, but may also increase the pain in the socket. In saying that, the total price of the 685 s2 and sonos sub will be around £1100 which could cover a very nice pair of Floostanders or it will be a huge contribution towards a pair.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Don Dadda, i appreciate your time.
Yh, the proverbial isnt going to like big upside down coffins, as she describes them (floorstanders), and they must be bracket mounted. Im in quite a quandry here, as if i go hifi seperates route i do not want to mess with subs. Perhaps i might up the budget on the speakers and go for something like ACT SM 11s, i wonder if that would help? hmmm this is a difficult one, because i want to buy the system here in the UK, and then take it all to my house in France which we are retiring too. I will keep investigating ;-)

Paul

No problem. I could either talk with the wife or faff about on here.:D.
Since the budget has upped and the criteria and laws has been laid, then you could consider Proac tablette or Studio 115

ProAc - Perfectly Natural | Speakers

ProAc - Perfectly Natural | Speakers

Both in similar price territory as the ATC's but can produce deeper bass than the ATC's. They are also much deaper in size and heavy. I had a pair of studio 100 mkll a good while back and they were very sweet sounding speakers. These were also on the wall, held up by target wall brackets. I wish I could of afford another pair or Proac floorstanders when they needed replacing, but in the 18 yrs I had them, the then equivalent speakers doubled in price.

It be good if you can get a demo.

Hi Don Dadda.....thanks again for the reply. Just to keep you updated, i got over the wife( eeek), so i am now in possesion of a pair of Q-Accoustic Concept 40s, floor standers, and im going to keep the Linn, and have purchased a Linn LK 140 Power amp. Hopefully this will suffice for the time being, quite excited about trying it all out, so once again, many thanks for your help. Ill let you know how it all sounds once its up and running.

Paul

Hey Paul.

Thanks for the update and i hope its what you need it to be and yes do get back with your thoughts. will be much interested how it all sounds to you

Enjoy the new toys
:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom