Advise on home gym equip and rountines

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by soupdragon, Aug 12, 2013.

1. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    I'm in the process of building a golf simulator/mini gym set up at home and I'm after some general advise please :thumbsup:

This is my build thread below for reference:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...1781227-screen-2-golf-simulator-mini-gym.html

I've already got a cross trainer and the missus wants a running machine. 1st up would be recommendations for a midrange running machine (as I understand it, the cheaper ones are not good?)

The garage is 20ft x 14ft but the golf sim will be taking up just over half of that. After the running machine goes in, I'll maybe have an extra 5ft x 8ft to add something else (a piece of equipment which can be stowed away when not in use would be useful)

Our goals: Missus just wants somewhere to run really. Personally I think running machines and cross trainers are boring but I've got a big screen for the golf sim so I can also use the screen for watching those running videos (eg, a 1st person view of running along a beach/forest etc) I'm going to have a pretty decent sound system in there too - subwoofer and the like so that the exercise is entertaining as well as rewarding physically with the idea being that if its a good room then it will get used often.

For me, I'm 36 - 6ft tall and just under 13 stone. I think I'm slim but I know some people think I'm skinny. My arms and leg muscles aren't particularly big and I don't have a belly - just surface love handles around my midriff - I can pinch an inch at best, maybe just a little less.

Obviously being a golf sim room too, I'm a golf fan and I want to work on a few things to help with my game. My forearms could do with being bigger and stronger legs would be useful. My suppleness is the key to my game and despite my modest frame, I'm usually the one winning the longest drive competitions. This is down to a hip/shoulder rotation variance (shoulders rotate about 110 degrees, hips rotate about 30 degrees and feet stay fixed at zero degrees)

So I'm thinking the running machine will give me cardio for general fitness and the cross trainer will help with the legs strength. Whats best for arms and especially forearms (my grip test results are 52kg left hand and 54kg right hand) I don't really want to bulk up and ruin my rotation/suppleness but maybe this is an unfounded worry - I just have visions of those really muscly guys who look really strong but almost 'too rigid' if you know what I mean? I can't afford to be rigid as it will impact the golf swing. If I can bulk a little but retain my flexibility then that might be a good thing to do.

So if you can advise in any way it would be a great help. To summarise:

1. recommend a running machine?

2. I've a little bit of space for another piece of equipment (ideally stowable) so based on my needs, any suggestions?

3. Once my mini gym is installed, is there any good places online which will give a suggestion to routines/programmes to follow to build up slowly (my fitness levels right now are probably the lower side of average so will need to build up gradually)

2. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    To give an idea of what I'm after, this is Henrik Stenson. Regarded as one of the strongest players on tour but also very supple.

This pic here shows he's not exactly ripped:

1376318047134.jpg

And gets a very good shoulder turn while the hips hardly budge:

1376318122551.jpg