1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise on First AV Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by halfacandan, May 25, 2005.

1. halfacandan

halfacandan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I've been trying to read up on receivers but can't find a decent guide to the basics that avoids jargon. Any suggestions?

My problem seems to be that I have all my sources output an RGB signal via scart but very few receivers can accept an RGB imput (maybe I'm wrong but I can't find many). I like the look of the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R but it seems to be component only. My TV doesn't have a component connector so I'd need a couple RGB-Component convertors which is way out of my price range and probably wouldn't do the pic quality any favours. Do I really need to send the video though a receiver to correct for sync etc? Is there a wonder amp to cure all my issues?

Ideally I want something around the £200 mark.

Thanks
    Dan

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You certainly don't need to route the video through the amp although it makes sense to send your audio there. It's a useful feature for those who only want to run a single component cable to a projector for example if to add "extra" inputs to a TV if they already have lots of sources.

I doubt they apply to you so just worry about getting the audio side right. For about £200 there are loads of models available from the likes of Marantz, Denon and Yamaha available plus there's the second hand market. It's important to try and demo if you can (or at least ask loads of advice) to make sure that your amp and speakers are a good match.

I hope that helps a bit or at least enables you to direct some further questions at us. :)

3. halfacandan

halfacandan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks for the speedy response. I'll go and pester the Richer Sounds staff then inflict my cash upon them.

Dan

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Take a look at this.
    It seems to meet your practical requirements, but will it be man enough for the job in hand. Only you can say!

5. halfacandan

halfacandan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yeah, the Pioneer models were the only ones I could find with RGB inputs (Scart or otherwise) so I presumed I was just being dim.

Any advise on good internet guides for speaker setup/config, listening distances/volumes and general pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Dan