1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise on buying a Sub please!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Burt, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Burt

Burt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to home cienma having just purchased the following equipment:

Toshiba 32ZD26P
    Yamaha RDS 630 Receiver
    Mission M73 Fronts
    Mission M7DS Rears
    Mission M7C1 Centre

Now I want to buy a sub without breaking the bank and was considering the following budget models:

REL Quake
    Mission M7OAS
    MJ Acoustics Pro50
    KEF PSW2000

Question is.. would the mission sub be a better match with the other 70 series speakers than the others I'm considering given that its also considerably cheaper than the REL or MJ? Or should I hold off until I can afford an REL given that it seems to wipe the floor with its competitors in all the reviews?

Any advise of experience of any of these subs would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian:D

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,969
    Firstly, don't take what you read in reviews as being the best advice. The Rel quake is not a very good sub for the money there are better models out there. you also don't have to get a sub from the same manufactuer as you speaker package, as any decent sub will easily intergrate into our system when set up well.

Depending on budget you may want to also check the comments in the pwer buy area for the Velodyne cht10.

I would recommend you check the following models.

Used Rel 100e around £200-300
    Used Rel Storm/Strata around £200-400
    New Velodyne CHT10 £325 (power buy price)
    Servo 15 (richer sounds) £499
    Velodyne CHT15 (power Buy) £684
    B&W latest models £300-700.

All above are class acts as subs go, if you can stretch to the servo 15 or even the CHT15 you will have a sub to keep for many years,and one that will bring so much more performance from your current speakers. Also look out for those Rel Used bargains, but stay away from the 150/250 etc which where not as good as the original Q models.

Hope this gives you some thing to think about.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just been discussing bugdet subs on an earlier thread here, there are a few recommendations on good quality subs, also an alternitive to buying brand new.

In your case you don't have to match up subs to the same brands as it is recommended for the other channels, a good quality sub should be able to blend in with any speaker system.

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    lilolee is selling a REL Q100E - £250 starting price which I think is very reasonable.

I don't think you'll find a better sub for that price, unless space is a big concern.

MuFu.