1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise on buying a complete system

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Pompey_Lad, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Pompey_Lad

Pompey_Lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been interested for as long as i can remember, in creating the perfect movie room. I am in a situation now where I can actually start buying, and for equipment I have about £6k, which will focus around the Pioneer 434, due in part to the HDMI conn.

So my question is, what would you guys recommend to get the most out of it, bearing in mind I need a complete package, DVD player; amp; speakers; cables?

Cheers.

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    How long's a piece of string :) :) There must be hundreds of ways to spend your £6K, definately go along to a dealer and listen to the various options.

Having said that if the 434 is a definate purchase then the Pioneer 668 £600, Pioneer 868 £1000 or Arcam DV79 £1000 would be the obvious choice for DVD player with a HDMI connection.

Pioneer AX5i £900, Denon 3805 £900 or Arcam AVR300 £1300 look like good options for the receiver. Pioneer AX3 and Denon 2805 would be cheaper alternatives around £600.

Speaker packages along the lines of Monitor Audio Bronze, Kef 2005, B & W VM1 or 300 series or Castle CC3 are all around £1000.

Speaker cables and interconnects from QED or Chord should do the trick, if you buy the lot from 1 place they will probably be able to be persuaded to throw in the cables you need for free.

Hope that helps a bit, lots of good info on here if you search, plus try a google for reviews on the various models.

www.avland.co.uk is a nice site to browse round and check out prices and specs.

Gus

3. Pompey_Lad

Pompey_Lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot. You are right, too many choices, which I suppose cant be a bad thing. You mention some of the ideas ive been considered, especially the Denon 3805.

The room I have at the moment for all this is about 15 foot by 10, with the plasma sitting on the 15 foot end. I was thinking about hardwood flooring, would this benefit or hinder the acoustics. Sorry if this is all a bit basic, but i've never really owned a quality system before, just trying to make sure i get it nearly right when i do. :) :)

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    PompeyLad

01. The room - do some reading before you make decisions on floor, wall coverings and general layout of your Home Cinema.

See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0964084988/cedia-20/103-5768316-8393429 for ideas on what books are available (most are written with the US market in mind).

02. The Kit List - fairly straightforward to find a dealer who will put together a known 'solution' within your budget or get out and about and put together your own selection of bits for that budget.

03. Plasma vs. Projection - I guess with a dedicated Theatre Room you could argue that a Projector and screen is more 'Cinematic' than a Plasma for the same money.

Ensure you build in an upgrade path as your bound to want to change things over the next few years.

Best regards

Joe

5. Pompey_Lad

Pompey_Lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

Thanks for your help. I will spend a bit more time thinking about this. There is obviously alot more to consider than I first thought. Once ive got the equipment nailed down then its just the small fact of connections :confused: