1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise needed, take picture at night

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Newbie, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I need to buy a digital camera that can take good picture at night or really low night condition. Need has large optical zoom range and 3Mega Pix or above. Please recommend.

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    When taking pictures at night you need a good quality CCD and a powerful flash. This normally means useing an external flash, as those built in will do little more than a couple of meters.
    I own an old Minolta Dimage 7 and would recommend the new version of this. It has a hot shoe for connecting another flash and is very good quality and has a large 7x optical zoom (don't go for digital zoom as this reduces picture quality).
    It all depends on what you are taking picture of and your budget.

Mark.

3. Newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks.

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Newbie,
    Most cameras have flash. But some have extended esposure (sometimes called bulb photography) for taking night shots without flash.Several cameras go up to and beyond 15 seconds that are a lot cheaper than the minolta!!!!

For night shots without flash you need to consider how good the camera is at noise reduction as this impacts the quality of an image at low light

There are several advantages to tis such as capturing reflections of lights in water, getting streaky lights from moving vehicles, etc.

Also some cameras offer slow synch, where you get a long exposure for the background and a fill in flash for the subject.

Also some cameras offer first and second shutter synching of the flash.

it all depends what you want to do at night or shouldnt I be asking that!?!?

5. daveperk

daveperk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using a Sony DSC F707 for night photography without flash.. I assume that's what you were asking about in your initial post, long exposures for night pix..

anyway, this camera has up to 30 seconds of shutter.. and it's very low noise compared to some.. I've been fiddling about with night shots and it's impressed me..

this one is a 5 megapixel camera but not terribly expensive compared to most of them..

good luck

DP

6. Newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to all replied to my question, the Sony DSC F707 is quite suitable for me. I think I will but that one. Thanks.

7. Newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh! forgot to say I am a PD( ?????)