Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Advise needed Sky+ Tommorow

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Zippster, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Zippster

Zippster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi all !

just wondering if theres anything i should be aware of when sky fit sky+ tommrorow??? power levels?

is there anything i should insist they check or is it all just part of the installation?

im a convert from Nthell so im hoping sky+ is gonna be amazingly better ( as im sure it will)

I was wondering about lip sync issues as they seem to be more apparent with plasma owners than crt owners??

Im going to be using the optical output of sky+ any issues??

Sorry for the quiz but i worry too much ;)

Thanx in advance for your help!

Andy...

2. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes make sure that you have SOLD your VCR before hand it's not in the manual (it should be) because it's now obsolete. :laugh:

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't let them leave unless you have at least 50% Signal Strength and Quality on both inputs or you'll have trouble when it rains. You can see signal Strength etc by pressing Services, 4, 6 on the remote.

4. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I would also make sure he forces a software download to ensure you have the latest version installed.

If you do not, chances are the box will do this at a time when you are recording and as a result loose that recording.

You can check your software version by pressing Services, 4, 5

For the Pace Model 7.1.0 Sky + (First box), Operating Software Version is 1.3.0B7 with EPG Software Version sky+1.24.i1

To force a download, power down the box, press and hold backup on the STB while restoring power. Hold Backup for 5 seconds and then release.

Guy

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MOST IMPORTANT

Make sure you have it installed in a well ventilated area! I firmly believe that most of the failures reported are caused by the box overheating.

DaveP

6. Zippster

Zippster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanx for the advise guys !! all fitted ands Great!!! i had a problem initially with the recording, i could start recording but couldnt stop it by pressing R again, the engineer said that was weird because that should work so he left me to it and told me to watch the demo.......... i was a bit miffed with all this specially when the book said it should work ??? anyways popped on ere late afternoon and read all your replys (thanx) and forced a software download......10 mins later all updated and now i can stop recording and...... i now have the instand rewind feature!!!!!

SUPERB!!!

just one last quick question, i was recording a film last night but the instant rewind function still worked????? i assumed that this records/buffers the last 15mins of the channel your watching ? but if i was recording aswell how is this so????

thanx again everyone! as usuall these forums are a fountain of knolledge..

Andy....
    {Very Happy Sky+ Owner}

7. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    You record using Sat LNB Input 2.

Your instant re-wind and normal veiwing is via Sat LNB Input 1.

They are totally independant from each other which is why you can be recording a film while also watching the same channel "Live" and use the instant re-wind. It's two totally different feeds being used.

Guy

8. Zippster

Zippster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanx Getanner but does the instant rewind thing actually record the tv then? if so i thought i can only record one channel at a time !

sorry just tryin to understand the technology !

thanx again

Andy..

9. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Zippster,

You can set the instant rewind to upto an hour.

You can't record 2 programmes at a time as such (i.e. you can't record 2 programs to playback at the later time from the menu).

Basically the instant rewind and the Pause TV function are one and the same. With Pause TV, when you press the pause button the program you are watching is recorded into a one hour buffer. You press play and you can watch it there and then, but you can't save it, and if you change channel or go into the menu you loss it. Instant rewind uses the same Pause buffer to contantly record want ever you are watching. You can then rewind into this buffer to watch something you missed. But again if you change channels (or go into the menu) you loss it.

Hope this helps,
    Stuart.

10. Zippster

Zippster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanx too tall i just assumed that if you can only record one channel i didnt understand how the instant rewind recorded aswell at the same time ! ;)

Its quite clear now ..

thanx again

Andy..

11. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Zippster, thought you might like to know that we Sky+ users have dual-recording to look forward to as soon as Sky can figure out a way of implementing it that won't confuse people :rolleyes: Hopefully by Summer :clap:

12. Zippster

Zippster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    wOOOHOOO !! now that would be very cool !!! , been playing with it all weekend and its superb!!! i would recommend it to anyone without it ! i cant beleive how much better it is over NThell, picture quality,sound(via optical),easyness of use, speed of menus etc its fantastic !

Cant believe i waited so long ;)

Andy..
    {currently Sky+ biggest fan ;)}