Advise needed please

simona1

Standard Member
Reaction score
I want to buy the acer e1 572p from currys for £479 as recommended by a friend. Am after an i5 processor touch screen, is this a good deal or is there similar cheaper out there.

Last edited:
Am after an i5 processor touch screen, is this a good deal or is there similar cheaper ouy there.

I would generally consider a laptop like that to be a poor buy as it includes talked about features but without changing the design to make good use of them them. In particular for the features you've quoted:

1. The hinge almost certainly doesn't open any more than usual, so you'll always be reaching over the keyboard to use the touchscreen rather than being able to stand it up like a tent or fold it flat, screen outwards.

2. The i5-4200U is a low power model (that's what the U stands for) which trades away processing power for less power consumption. Great if you're trying to extend battery life or reduce the weight (smaller battery for same lifetime) but this model is neither particularly light nor particularly long lasting so you just end up with a slower processor, similar to a standard power (M-suffix) i3.

Of course, implementing both features properly costs money so you're probably looking at a more expensive machine if you want something designed around the touchscreen but if you've got a concrete use for both the touchscreen and the extra features in an i5 (not many in the mobile versions, if you're after VT-D some of the i3s support it too) then it may be your best bet on a tight budget.

Thanks. Am a novice on computers will you be kind to recommend few i should take a look at ? budget is £500.

I've just noticed Lenovo are offering their Thinkpad Edge E540 Touch for the same price. The i3-4000M it comes with is a similar speed to the i5-4200U but has faster integrated graphics and it's likely to have better build quality than a budget Acer. (It may have significantly longer battery life too, it can be hard to tell from manufacturer quotes).

As for recommendations generally, what are your priorities? Processing power? Screen quality? Battery life? Longevity?

I've just noticed Lenovo are offering their Thinkpad Edge E540 Touch for the same price. The i3-4000M it comes with is a similar speed to the i5-4200U but has faster integrated graphics and it's likely to have better build quality than a budget Acer. (It may have significantly longer battery life too, it can be hard to tell from manufacturer quotes).

As for recommendations generally, what are your priorities? Processing power? Screen quality? Battery life? Longevity?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom