1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise needed: Panasonic DMR-E85H or JVC DR-MH20EK?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fdg, May 28, 2005.

1. fdg

fdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have recently changed my receiver, and bought a Fortec 5100 Diamond (which takes satellite digital and terrestrial digital). Now wanted to get a DVD recorder+HD to scrap the old DVD reader and the VHS-r.

I have been suggested by two friends the Panasonic DMR-E85H and the JVC DR-MH20EK. Both swear blind each is the one to buy - may I have your informed opinion?

Thanks
    Franco

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The Panasonic E85 has now been discontinued and replaced by the improved Panasonic EH50. Thus I would suggesting looking at that as opposed to the older E85.

Comparing Panasonic v JVC both have their pros and cons. In pure AV terms the Panasonic wins hands down -especially if you want to record from Sky/Freeview/Cable. Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature for basic DVDR advice.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    While the EH50 might have a few improvements over the older E85 the EH50 is designed from the outset to be much, much cheaper to make. Instead of manufacture in Germany production has moved elsewhere to either china, poland or slovakia. The psu has been downgraded to a low cost unit that consumes about 5x as much power as the E85 does in standby. Its basically a very cheap PSU unit. I paid £245 for my E85 and I'm amazed by the quality of it. Yes the EH50 has some improved technology but it also has downgraded build quality. Its also worth pointing out that early production examples of any new model tend to be the models most prone to bugs or faults where as models at the end of a production run benefit from all the improvements made to improve reliability and performance from feedback from service shops and end users. If you can check them both out side by side do so before making your choice. The E85 was made to sell at £600 not £300.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The build quality on the EH50 is nothing to be ashamed of. It's a solid, well built machine.

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    The Panasonic EH50 is built down to a price, hence production moving away from germany and the use of a lower quality PSU section. I've seen the non hard drive version criticised for flimsy/light construction and seen reliability complaints from american owners. You only have to look around these forums to see people complaining about the general movement towards more flimsy construction across all brands. I would say its a fact that the E85 is better constructed than the EH50. I use my E85 on a Panasonic AE100 projector and its excellent. I have tons of electronic gear and often suffer from interference but the E85 seems very well electrically shielded indeed. It produces superb dvds on mediocre dvd-rs. The fact it has an old style PSU that is able to consume less power in standby means a saving of about £20 over a 3 year life cycle. Ok £20 no big deal but it all helps.