Advise needed concerning dvd/audio combo

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DKoelewijn, Mar 22, 2006.

1. DKoelewijn

DKoelewijn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people, I hope you can help me out with some advise.

This is the deal.
    I'm planning on buying a Pioneer 50" Plasma (PDP-506XDE).
    However I'm having some concerns about my current sets.
    I have a Bose Acoustimass system which is about 6 years old now...I used to connect it to some Technics Receiver that didn't support DTS, so after a few years I put them both in storage along with a Pioneer A350.

My current DVD player isn't so bad, but it's a DVD player and receiver in one...A Pioneer DCS313 system.
    So when buying my plasma (probably next month) I will end up with some DVD players that don't have HDMI, progressive scan, etc.
    My future plan is also to buy a PS3 as soon as it's being released, so that's a factor too.

So, what's the best thing for me to do ?
    - Just connect the Pioneer DVD using Component Input to the Plasma TV and keep things like they are. (How bad will it look ?)

- Buy a very simple DVDplayer with HDMI and Progressive Scan and for the audio I connect it all to my Pioneer DCS313 Receiver until the PS3 comgins a long ? (will probably work, but its kinda weird to use a DVD/Receiver Combo only as a receiver, but if that will work...I won't complain)

- Buy a AV/Receiver AND a DVDplayer with HDMI and progressive scan ?
    (I really hope I won't need to do that, for expense-sake).
    And if that needs to be done, grab the old 5.1 bose set and connect it to the AV/Receiver or use the optical connection to connect the new DVDPlayer with the DCS313 set ?

So many options, so little money. (most is going into the plasma and the budget will be low/down for a few months to recover).

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hard to say, since I have no knowledge of your system, however in this sort of case where someone's very undecided about what they want to do I always think it best to take option (1), see how your existing player performs with your new display then take it from there. :)

There's a lot of discussion about HDMI vs. Component, and while it's true that if all else is equal digital beats analog in PQ terms there are a lot of factors which can mean the difference is minimal to non-existent in some setups.

As for Progressive Scan, it doesn't need HDMI, indeed until fairly recently digital outputs of any sort (DVI) have not been almost universal, before that Component was usually the only way to obtain a progressive feed (few displays supported progressive on other inputs, don't know why).

Ultimately a scaling player/HD-player may be what you decide on but for now it sounds to me like 'suck it and see' is the best approach. :)

3. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I agree with Exactly what Kragorn says, exactly what id do.

Mine was very similar to your problem , In the end decided as i wasnt going to buy a HD DVD player for at least a year, they are all bound to have problems/glitches on top of the Format war:eek:

I bought the oppo upscaling and it works a treat on my set up I have compared my sony dav dvd/amp against it and prefer the sharper more life like pic of the oppo:D

And just connected the oppo via an optical cable to use the amp for surround sound

I am now well pleased

Regards

4. DKoelewijn

DKoelewijn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Thanx for the good advice.
    Now another question, where do I put the wife when taking the setup for a spin ? lol:D