1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise me with a DVD recorder with HD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by luckyandy, Jul 9, 2004.

1. luckyandy

luckyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

I am looking for a DVD recorder with HD but at a low budget. Dont really want to go over £450. It need to be good

Look forward to replies

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Can you be a little more specific. The Toshiba RX32 and Panasonic E85 are both around the £450 mark and both are "good".

3. luckyandy

luckyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I want one that is good for it value of money and record great and the like.

I was looking at those 2 and am stuck between the 2. I have a toshiba Picture Frame 2 tv and though the Tosh dvd recorder would be nice with it

4. anth63

anth63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The toshiba picture frame 2 - are you going for the 32 inch model or the 36 ?

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I've had the pan 85 for a few months now and am as happy with it now as I was when I first got it. 80GB is easily sufficient. Especially if like me you're gonna use it to archive uki/us tv series. I'm in the process of recording all 9 series of Seinfeld. Recordings in sp are almost indistinguidshable from the original digital broadcast, and in my experience lp is often good enough, (especially for older programs like 'Seinfeld' or 'the young ones'). Playback of dvd's is also of a high standard. The only criticism I would make is that the operation is a little slow at times. Still, it's only a minor complaint.

6. luckyandy

luckyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have already got the TV it the 36" version. I had it the day it came out and it fantastic. Not had a single problem with it :D

Thankyou for your replies folks, Keep them coming before I decide which I get. Or if there is any other to suggest then please do

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Both the Toshiba RX32 and Panasonic E85 are similarly specified machines - you won't go wrong with either. However the Toshiba is the more powerful of the two as it has a number of features the E85 doesn't:
    - iLink (only useful if you have/want a digital camcorder)
    - DVD-RW (useful if you want to lend friends recordings on re-writeable media)
    - Specify menu backgrounds

The Panasonic's only real feature over the Toshiba is DVD-Audio (2 Channel) playback. Also, IMHO, the E85 is alot more user friendly than the Toshiba.

8. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think you should look at the Pioneer 520/720 which has far superior copying, dubbing speeds and facilities. It can copy from HD to DVD-R at up to 48 speed using 8x media.
    The Toshiba is certainly very powerful when it comes to editing etc. but the view on here is that it can be quite complicated.
    I too am waiting to buy and I would choose between the Tosh and the Pioneers.
    What video gave the Pioneer 720 five stars and concluding it was a superb machine.

9. luckyandy

luckyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has the Pioneer 520 got progressive scan thou? As I dont see any mention of this

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    No - none of the Pioneer range has. They also lack the powerful 'authoring' featurs of the Toshiba - such as the ability to define background menus and thumbnails.

IMHO the Toshiba RX32 is superior to the Pioneer (and Panasonic) range in many respects: progressive scan, component, authoring features etc. This was also the view Home Cinema Choice came to in their latest issue: remember What Video is aimed slightly more at the mass market, HCC is more focused at mid-upper market - which I presume most people in here are.

11. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Don't forget, the pan 85 also has component output, (pal/ntsc), 9 different background menus, plus you can also define thumnails. Whatever HCC may have said, Panasonics DMR85 is still their current number 1 dvd recorder in their top 5. Still, I'm a little biased as I do own one. :laugh:

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Rob, I entirely agree - the Panasonic E85 is an excellent recorder. Thoroughly recommended - especially as it is the most user friendly DVD recorder available without sacrificing power/features.

13. luckyandy

luckyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok now down to the Pan 85 and the tosh 32 it between the 2 i think now. So let see who can point me the right way

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Probably best to have a read of some of the other posts. The "Toshiba RDXS32 - Review thread" is an excellent read to determine the strength/weakness of that recorder:
    http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?forums/index.php?

There are loads of Panasonic E85 users here who can give you an insight into that machine as well. As a rule of thumb if you want simple, hastle free recording/dubbing then go for the Panasonic. If you want to spend longer on your dubs but end up with a DVD-R with personalised menus then go for the Toshiba.

15. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I think it's too close to call. I'd go for the cheaper model....or the one you prefer the look of!? :)

16. Dulux

Dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,
    I agree this machine is painfully slow! However, playback of DVDV with a component input is simply outstanding. Iv'e just purchased the Veira 37" and the DMRE85 partners it beautifully.