Advise for upgrading current speaker set up

Parto

Novice Member
For the last few years I've had a budget set-up with a Yamaha RX-V375 AV receiver and Tannoy TFX 5.1 setup. We have moved house a while ago and the mrs has banned having cables and speakers around the rest of the room so I've been using only the sub, front left, centre and right speakers by the TV.

With Christmas coming I have been given a budget of £300-400 to upgrade and would really appreciate any guidance/advise you can offer on my options. My living/dining room is quite open with the tv and seating in one half of the room and it will primarily be used for general Tv/films and occasionally music. For aesthetic reason I think I need to base this around a sound bar (with sub behind the tv or in another corner of the room if wireless).

My first thought was to replace the whole system with a new/used atmos type active sound bar setup but I'm concerned with the potential quality with such a small budget (even used there doesn't look to be much available).

My other (currently preferred) option is to keep the AV receiver and get a passive sound bar something like the Monitor Audio SB3 which can be had <£300 used and potentially a sub (or can add this later). I'm concerned by the potential lack of soundstage with this approach with no side or top channels. Are there any other potential solutions available that could provide the wider soundstage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RobMcM

Just out of curiosity, how are you finding it?
Sorry for resurrecting an old-ish thread but I’m interested in how this sounds too. SHMBO is avoiding saying so as she knows I’ll be upset, but is about to say that my current LCR array can’t be set up in our new place for “aesthetic reasons”. An SB2 seems to me to be the best alternative available. How does it sound?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-S60A + LG SP8YA soundbar & KEF LS50 Wireless II Reviews: Movie & TV Show News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom