Advise for sub £150 Ipod control Head Unit please

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by compact, Sep 11, 2007.

1. compact

compact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Been looking at a cheapish head unit to control my Ipod.

Looking around the £150 mark.

Want to control from the head unit, so I can run a cable in to the glove box and leave the ipod nano in there.

It seems that there haven't been many changes in the last year at that price level so it is between the:
    Alpine CDE-9850Ri iPod Full Speed £140
    Pioneer DEH-P6900IB iPod Control £160

Has anyone used these?
    Are they any good, can you easily search and play songs?

Any other head units

Cheers

2. kinobestew123

kinobestew123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hey, I have just ordered the Kenwood KDC-W6537U:

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/cd_receivers/KDC-W6537U/

You can buy this with an additional USB ipod cable, the deal I got included this cable although I will not be using it at the moment as I do not have an Ipod.

I have also ordered the additional Bluetooth phone unit.

As for the Ipod part, I believe it offers what it should, good quality sound and seemless track playback, etc.

Stew.

3. compact

compact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers

Though that is looking like a £200 option.
    Going to have to think twice about the bluetooth part, do I really take that many calls in the car to warrant it...

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,258
    Alpine CDE-9850Ri iPod Full Speed £140
    I bought one of these 2nd hand on here recently (£85). The interface is a bit fiddly with an 80GB iPod as there are so many 2000+ artists/1400+ albums but it's still brilliant.
    You basically don't want to be fiddling around much when you're on the move as it's so much attention grabbing than just swapping CDs or skipping tracks. Set it on a playlist/album or shuffle and leave it alone apart from skipping the odd track.
    The display is good and it scolls through Artist/Album/Title. It charges the iPod and the cable is decent quality.

The head unit is also quality - sounds better than the older Alpine it replaced with plenty of punch. The only downside is the facia is a bit bling for my taste & the Merc dahs - particularly I wanted to use a black surround off the older Alpine but it was subtly different and I couldn't open the front fully with it in place so I stuck with the silver.

I can heartily recommend the Alpine but I have never seen that Pioneer and for all I know it's as good or better.

5. compact

compact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers
    This is exactly the reply/review I was looking.

Don't think the bling problem will have much affect on my 306 estate...

6. compact

compact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have now ordered the Pioneer DEH-P6900IB iPod Control

After advice, it is not as fast a connection as the Alpine, but much larger screen so easier to use.

can't wait for it to arrive now.

7. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I went for the 4900 :thumbsup:, will be fitting it today.

8. AFCChris

AFCChris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ReL the Pioneer 6900. How does the display differ from the Alpine mentioned above? I couldn't find any decent explaination about the screen resolution so finding it hard to see which would be better with regards to how much information the screen can show on artist/album/track title etc.

This unit certainly looks the better for me out of the two as it offers bluetooth which is one of the things I want.

Cheers
    Chris

9. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,258
    Looking at
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-dehp6900ib-ipod-control-p-5667.html
    and
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cde9850ri-ipod-full-speed-p-4679.html
    The Pioneer has a multi line 'dot matrix' style display which is more detailed than my Alpine. The Alpine has a single line for text made of the standard old fashioned 8 segment characters like in clock radios. So the Pioneer has a nicer display.

The things I would be interested in are - how fast is the iPod interface and is the Pioneer capable of dealing with 1000's of artists/albums/tracks. An older higher spec Alpine 9855R in my partner's mini will only display 511 or anything which means an alphabetic search on our library stops at "g" :eek:

10. sampras

sampras
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Compact, you've had the Pioneer DEH-P6900IB iPod Control for a couple of months what do you think about it? i am in the same quandary as you re the alpine or the pioneer and would really like to hear some people views on the pioneer. There don't appear to be too many reviews out there? Also can you tell me if it will play podcasts? I don't know why it wouldn't that has been a complaint against it. I listen to russell brand's podcast which can be downloaded from the radio2 website.

Any comments and experiences of using the pioneer would be warmly received.

cheers,

Samps

11. compact

compact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi here is my Review

Installation: Very easy, though had to swap the power cables around at the back as preset radio stations weren't saving (easy too).
    Have run the Ipod cable into the glovebox, which was the hardest part, but using the bendy cable off net curtains (they have a hook on the end to hook the ipod cable), I was able to pull it through.

Appearance Nice, not too flashy or bling.

Display
    Nice, can read 2 lines of text, which is useful for seeing Artist and Track. Slight niggle that when you scroll through Albums and pause on one, it doesn't scroll if it is a long name. The LED is only Blue and they little animated patterns get a bit boring after a while.

Selecting Songs The button, works like the IPOD one, scroll turn press etc. This is ok, nice try, but the quality isn't up to that of Apple.
    You twist/turn to scroll, then press in to select. You can also slick in 4 directions to scroll and select.
    A very good attempt, though not perfect.
    When you press in to select, you sometimes press at a slight angle and scroll instead.
    The clicks as you turn don't feel the best quality, but this is being picky.

Playing Songs Sound is pretty good, I have the standard speakers in my Peugeot and it sounds good. Preset EQ's are not too bad.

Conclusion

Good Points

Good attempt at replicating IPOD menu and selection, on a stereo.
    Fast scrolling (though you can out pace the display if you really twist fast).

Bad Points
    Putting the front on, is slightly fiddly but you get used to it. Like any system you can see where to slot it in near to you, but left hand side missed sometimes.
    If you are playing a song, you cannot go back into the album to scroll around.
    I.e. you have to start from scratch again and select Album | Album Name | Track.
    This is not too much a problem on a small IPOD, but one with hundreds of Albums, if you want to listen to a track on the next Album i.e. Bad Boys Track 1 then Badder Bing Track 1, you have to start searching from Album A again.

Overall

Not used any other system, but yeah I like it.

p.s. not tried Podcasts but can't see why not.