1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise for new dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zzag, Apr 23, 2005.

1. zzag

zzag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

My daughter's dvd player has just bit the dust so i would like some advise. She has £80 to buy a new one, any help. :confused:

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    It really depends what she wants from it. Personally I'd recommend the Limit 900SE at play.com at £79.99. Superb performance and all round good compatibility and features. Some others might recommend the Pioneer 575 or Toshiba 340 which add a few extra features like divx but don't have the Limit's more refined sound quality or build quality.

A good basic dvd player that can play most formats and media from anywhere in the world can cost as little as £20 delivered. If you want extra's like divx/xvid or DVD Audio and SACD compatibility you'll need to pay more.

3. zzag

zzag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that bonzobanana, she will be mainly interesterd in playback, Will the limit play dvd backups eg -/+ :confused:

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The Limit is probably the equal of the Pioneer with regards backups and both are superior to the Toshiba. However all three probably have some issues with backup media. You'd be better off paying less and getting a chinese brand player preferably with 4x reading or at least 2x reading as default for films. This gives the player time to reread errors and skip tracks and layer changes quickly. Also the chinese branded players tend to read a wider range of media without issues due to heavy piracy in china I guess.

5. zzag

zzag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks bonzobanana I'll check them out.