Advise for Home theatre set up

miks

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

Im posting on this forum after what seems like years. Could really use some advise on my HT set up. I have recently moved to a new house and trying to get the basement going! I want to use my old equipement to minimize expenses.

Here is what i have

Focal Aria 948 fronts
Focal Aria Centre
Focal Dipole Surround
Kef book shelves Q 300
Monitor Audio Bronze subwoofer
Amp: Yamaha Aventage 2060
Anthem 225 2 channel power amp

My room is 22 feet x 15 feet and 8'4" after a false ceiling for sound absorption.

So ideally I would like a 7.1.4 set up but am restricted by the amp which is a 9 channel. I need to get the speaker wiring done so need to make some quick decisions. I was thinking of installing cable for side and back surrounds and 4 in ceiling speakers. I however would not be able to use all 11 and therefore can set up as a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2. The ceiling speakers that I'm looking at are the Monitor Audio C-256 IDC. 4 of those will set me back about 1200 bucks.

Other option is that i ditch the ceiling speakers entirely and set up as a 7.1.2 with two SVS elevation speakers on the corner of the wall and ceiling. This is also a cheaper option.

The projector options I am looking at Optoma UHZ 65 LV or the JVC LX NZ3B. The ceiling speaker installation will be tricky since the false ceiling can't support any weight.

Please let me know what you all think, would appreciate any feedback on this. Cheers

razy60

Wire for speakers anyway, that way you've got options.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Everyone,

Im posting on this forum after what seems like years. Could really use some advise on my HT set up. I have recently moved to a new house and trying to get the basement going! I want to use my old equipement to minimize expenses.

Here is what i have

Focal Aria 948 fronts
Focal Aria Centre
Focal Dipole Surround
Kef book shelves Q 300
Monitor Audio Bronze subwoofer
Amp: Yamaha Aventage 2060
Anthem 225 2 channel power amp

My room is 22 feet x 15 feet and 8'4" after a false ceiling for sound absorption.

So ideally I would like a 7.1.4 set up but am restricted by the amp which is a 9 channel. I need to get the speaker wiring done so need to make some quick decisions. I was thinking of installing cable for side and back surrounds and 4 in ceiling speakers. I however would not be able to use all 11 and therefore can set up as a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2. The ceiling speakers that I'm looking at are the Monitor Audio C-256 IDC. 4 of those will set me back about 1200 bucks.

Other option is that i ditch the ceiling speakers entirely and set up as a 7.1.2 with two SVS elevation speakers on the corner of the wall and ceiling. This is also a cheaper option.

The projector options I am looking at Optoma UHZ 65 LV or the JVC LX NZ3B. The ceiling speaker installation will be tricky since the false ceiling can't support any weight.

Please let me know what you all think, would appreciate any feedback on this. Cheers

If you go with the atmos route make sure you don`t mount the Focal dipoles too high so both effects aren`t coming high up battling each other.

Can you push the surround backs (Q300) about meter or so behind the listeners?

Personally i wouldn`t go for atmos yet as you have poor subwoofer compared to rest of your system. I would use the money for two quality subs rather or one more expensive one if you can add 2nd identical later.

Which country you live?

miks

Standard Member
If you go with the atmos route make sure you don`t mount the Focal dipoles too high so both effects aren`t coming high up battling each other.

Can you push the surround backs (Q300) about meter or so behind the listeners?

Personally i wouldn`t go for atmos yet as you have poor subwoofer compared to rest of your system. I would use the money for two quality subs rather or one more expensive one if you can add 2nd identical later.

Which country you live?
Thanks for your response. My current set up puts the rear surrounds about 2m behind the seating position. I can wait on the atmos speakers and pick up a SVS woofer instead. But probably makes sense to get the wiring done.

Another cheaper option are the Klipsch 18C. I live in pakistan so equipment supply is a challenge.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom