Advise for airflow on a prodigy m

offitmassive

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey.. I have the Prodigy M with a 230mm fan in the bottom drawing air in. Have 2 x 120mm fans in the top also drawing air in onto a sapphire r9 390 which gets quite toasty. My cpu cooler is a H70i pushing cool air into the case. Since the r9 390 im having issues? trying to get rid of the warm air. And i think the only way and space available to me is 2 x 40mm fans above the pcie slots which im hoping will expel the warm air created y the r9 390

The fans currently fitted are connect to the mobo.. would a bitfenix recon fan controller be of use to allow me to control the fans to my liking or not?? I have ordered a sata to molex convertor to allow me to give 100% power to the AIO pump and allow a separate fan header for a fan

It sounds like you've got plenty of airflow already? Are you sure your issues are heat related? Is the 390 throttling?

Nah the 390 has been fine. Temps are 78c but the side panel is like a hot water panel. I've got no exhaust fans and rely on the positive case pressure to "passively " exhaust the heat out the case itself if you get me.

Why so much intake? I'm not sure if the case allows for it but i would use 230mm intake, top 120mm's as exhausts and a rear 40mm intake over the top of the r9.

This would apply negative pressure IIRC but providing there is space around the top of the case, all warm air will be expelled. This leaves you with the H70i dealing with the CPU.

I'm currently running 1x230 intake (front) and 1x120 exhaust (rear) with a bladed/open top and my R9 390 only gets to 40-50C under strain (i am in a chilled basement).;

Ideally you want the intake onto the R9 to be underneath, so cold air is applied to the GPU/Memory/Fan side, and then the heat can rise and be expelled. Theory there at least?! Its only a few screws so shouldnt take long to experiment.

Well I have the prodigy m so my 230mm is intake on the bottom. The h70i is meant to draw air in rather than pull it out and my 2x 120mm fans on top are drawing in cooler air for the r9 390 which is an inch or 2 from the top . The back of the gpu is facing down so in theory there won't be much cool air on the gpu fans if they're set to exhaust. And the 40mm fans would sit directly on top of the gpu ... That's where it seems hot as the fans on the gpu are blowing the heat everywhere

Ive just this second turned my 230mm on the bottom round to an exhaust ....

It sounds like you've got plenty of airflow already? Are you sure your issues are heat related? Is the 390 throttling?
390s performance even at heat is unthrottled. The side of my case gets really warm as the gpu heat travels above it (towards the side of the prodigy m ) and then due to it being so warm the fans spin up more in an attempt to expel the heat. When the case side is removed it's like a hair dryer and after 5 mins the gpu fans slow down. I think the case is the wrong one for such a warm gpu and am open to the option of the aerocool dead silence cube case which has the mobo lay down flat and has a more conventional air flow.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom