Advie needed : Archos 160 gb or Ipod Classic 160 GB

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by nikunj_cal, Sep 17, 2007.

1. nikunj_cal

nikunj_cal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi , I was thinking of buying a portable media player for long. I am confused between the Archos 605 160gb and the Ipod classic 160 gb . I loved the Archos because of its 4.3 inch touchscreen functionality . But I am not very sure with regards the following :-
    1)How good is the sound quality (when heard via earphones) vis a vis the ipod.
    2)Ease of navigation of an Archos vis a vis the ipod classic.Does the Archos has search function via artist name, genre etc etc like the ipod does ???
    3)I also plan to buy a dock with the archos to plug it to my home theater which I believe has a digital spdif out.Do any of the ipod docks have digital outs ?? Please help. :lease:

2. jay323

jay323
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the archos interface is a little more complicated than the ipod but once you get used to it, it gets really easy to use, i have an ipod and an archos and after having severe software issues with the ipod and apple refusing to help i vowed never to deal with apple again

3. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The ipod has never rated particulary highly for its sound quality when compared to other mp3 players from the likes of Creative and Sony.

I have the 605 and an ipod nano (2nd gen) and i would say the sound is comparable when listening with the same earphones. Although the earphones supplied with the Archos are superior to the ipod, so out of the box the Archos sounds better.

4. FrankS

FrankS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have the older AV500 and my son a AV404 and the sound quality through a decent set of headphones is very good. Yes you can search by artist etc. The choice is whether you want video or not, if you want decent video then the Archos wins hands down, if you want something for music only then look at the IPod or something else in the Archos range which are smaller.