Advices for new 5.2.2 setup (avr + spearkers)

Orphen

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I really need some smart advice because out there is a jungle.

I have 4-5 months to choose an AVR, some speakers and plan how to connect all together to be efficient and girlfriend-approvable (this mean the least possibile cables visible). So I'm in a renewal process to split a house and the upper floor will be mine to live. I will buy in the next 2 months an LG G1 65" and I want to build IF POSSIBLE an Atomos Enabled sound system. The bare minimum will be an 5.1 setup, but if I can find a solution that can bring me the possibility to add in future another 2 speakers to get dolby atmos, it will be sweet. Currently I don't know which AVR to choose. I'm not an audiophile, I love good music and good surround system in a movie.

What I want is:
- Dolby Atmos capable
- 4k@120hz capable (for consoles) **
- must have an eARC port
- wireless ceiling speakers capable??? For Dolby Atmos
** I know that some manufactor have problems with passthrough like Denon and Marantz. It's a shame because I wuold like to buy a Denon AVR

The use of the setup:
GAMES: I want to be able to use a PC (especially) /PS5/XBOX and get 4@120hz with VVR. Maybe I can connect all the console and the PC to the TV and use eARC cable to send it to the AVR to get the audio.
MOVIE: I love movies. And this is why I would like to get at least the possibility to expand the 5.1 setup by adding in future two speakers on the ceiling.

BUDGET: really, I'm flexible. Let's say, if I can spend around 1.5k€ for AVR and speakers it would be great. I CAN spend a little more but there must be some good reasons. Let's try to find a good setup for that ammount, if there is nothing reasonable in this range, I will extend to 2k or more.

THANK YOU in advance

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.

Denon and Marantz, from production post May 2021, have now sorted the 2.1 HDMI issue and will cover all of your requirements, as will the other manufacturers as well. The only issue I can see is wireless rear speakers, again this will be a problem with all AV amps.

As for speakers then in the UK there are several suppliers that will put speaker and amp combinations available for sale. Would that be a prospect for Italian dealers?

Shopping online is my only choice to save same bucks =) so there isn't any problem do buy from UK, USA o other country. My mistake, for wireless speakers I'd mean it for the upper speakers, the dolby atmos for the cealing. I know there is some wireless speaker but I'd read some bad review about it.
I'm really happy to see that Denon had resolved the HDMI 2.1 bug. I'm thinking about how would I know if a device is or not build after may. Hmm.. Anyway, some advice for some good AVR or good speaker in the price range?

You will have to wire the Atmos speakers. If you go for the Denon X2700 it's a very capable AV amp and can run a maximum of 7.1 or 5.1.2 with Atmos. Very easy to set up and use. I'll link to two UK retailers that put bundles together, whether or not they will ship to Italy is another matter. I won't recommend speakers as I feel you should really audition them.

It would be a help if you could post a diagram, with dimensions, of your room along with where the TV and the speakers are likely to go. This would go a long way to getting you the right size and type of speakers.

The Denon X2700h was the one that I would like in the first place, but this one too suffer from 4k@120hz bug, as other from Marantz and Yamahaa. I kwnow that there is a "free" fix with an external hardware but... Don't know, maybe I can give a shoot. It seems a good AVR for my needs after all.

As you can see below, I have one room divided in kitchen and living room, with a semi open area. This is the best I can get from the space that I have. The living area have a table (the green shape) that will be push on the side when I will have a "movie night", this will allow me to push forward the sofa and a little far away from back channels.
My idea is to start with a 5.1 setup and then expand it to a 5.1.2 setup.
The speakers sadly can't be with tower form factor. I ha velittle space, and I will wall-mount them. For the ceiling atomos speakers I will shearch for something "small" to attach to the seiling (2,6m height)

plan.jpg

The Denon X2700h was the one that I would like in the first place, but this one too suffer from 4k@120hz bug, as other from Marantz and Yamahaa. I kwnow that there is a "free" fix with an external hardware but... Don't know, maybe I can give a shoot. It seems a good AVR for my needs after all.

As you can see below, I have one room divided in kitchen and living room, with a semi open area. This is the best I can get from the space that I have. The living area have a table (the green shape) that will be push on the side when I will have a "movie night", this will allow me to push forward the sofa and a little far away from back channels.
My idea is to start with a 5.1 setup and then expand it to a 5.1.2 setup.
The speakers sadly can't be with tower form factor. I ha velittle space, and I will wall-mount them. For the ceiling atomos speakers I will shearch for something "small" to attach to the seiling (2,6m height)

View attachment 1573429

You don`t need the external box anymore if you buy unit that is made after May. Just ask your dealer to check the serial number for it.

"Denon has tweaked the serial number of the new models: numbers that end with serial numbers from 70001 onwards should be bug-free, as they will have been manufactured after May 2021 and boast the upgraded HDMI 2.1 chip."

Looking the prices in Italy speakers are priced quite normally to EU pricing so don`t see much point ordering from UK. Extra hassle if you need warranty repair.

One of the best in this price class for movies/music would be the new MA Bronze range and it would still be very tight with your budget unless you get some discount when you buy together receiver + speakers from same shop, worth to ask so don´t buy them separate. They also have the upfiring modules if you have flat and reflective material made ceiling. Then you can easily hide the wires behind the speakers.

Speaker stands for the front mains:

Speakers:

Front mains:

Centre:

Rears if you can wall mount them ~1feet from corner :

Here is the atmos modules which you can add later when funds allow, but see below do you meet the Dolby`s requirements. They would be placed on top of Bronze 50 fronts.

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material)

Subwoofer is very important and sadly the cheap ones are toys. Boom boxes with cheap amps that die fast. If you spend little more you get high quality product with long warranty and it can transform your system big time! Two good options for your room:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom