Question Advices and tips for my first build: AMD Ryzen 5

jerry22

Novice Member
Hi everybody, how's it going?

i've created my first build and i'd like to share with you and maybe if you can give me some advice about it, please

cpu AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core
air cooler be quiet! - Pure Rock 120mm fan (i've contacted the company, they said it's got am4 out of the box compability)
motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AB350-Gaming ATX AM4
memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
video card Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Turbo
case Zalman - Z1 Neo ATX Mid Tower
power supply Corsair - VS 650W ATX (i've used the wattage calculator, the total of all is 515W so i needed 550 PSU but for €3 more i can get 650W PSU)

i will also buy an UPS to prevent damage if there is a power cut or black out

this is the link to compare GA AB 350 gaming ( €15 cheaper, where i live) vs GA AB 350 gaming 3 Compare Result | Motherboard | GIGABYTE can you tell me if im right by saying that the only differences are the rgb stuff and it has one more pci-e 16x slot (running at x1)

everything should be compatible with the other components, if you notice any big mistakes please tell me

thanks
regards

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I don't see your SSD, I wouldn't even considering spending that much on a PC without one.

Ryzen processors only officially support DDR4-2667 so you will need to overclock to use DDR4-3200.

Have you factored in G-sync costs for your choice of graphics card? If you buy a new screen in the life of the PC then you'll save £100 or more if you have a Radeon card that supports Freesync rather than the G-sync only GTX 1060.

The case will do the job which is all you can ask for at that price.

515W for a system like that? I'm guessing that was a calculator on a power supply maker's website? I'd be surprised if you normally saw half that under load.

Unexpected power off won't normally damage a PC so if you're concerned it may work out cheaper to buy insurance against it than a UPS.

The Gaming 3 has a newer audio chip (possibly drivers available longer for future OS updates), 7 instead of 8 USB ports, an extra fan header, an optical S/PDIF output, 5 analogue audio outputs instead of 3 (5.1 & Microphone at once) and is half a centimeter wider.

next010

Distinguished Member
Yeah I'd agree with EndlessWaves I would not go down the HDD route, really SSD makes such a big difference, if you've been holding out there is not much reason to any more as 512GB drives are reasonably priced these days. Samsung SSD are good quality and reliable.

If your still wedded to the capacity of a HDD then get a Seagate Firecuda that is a hybrid SSD/HDD drive which is at least better than a stock HDD, there are 3.5" models but curiously these only feature an 8GB SSD cache, the top of the line 2.5" model has a 32GB SSD cache & bigger cache if what you want with these kind of drives if memory serves.

Right now there is an availability issue with Radeon RX580/570 cards, essentially another one of those crypto-currencies has been invented except it only works on GPU's of which AMD ones are highly effective in it's usage so all the crazy's out there are going around and buying up all the stock of AMD GPU's.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom