1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by martin7, Jul 6, 2004.

1. martin7

martin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am thinking about buying a 42in Philips plasma screen TV. I friend has told me that with prolonged viewing of say computer games, images can get burn't into the screen and after 6 -7 years of use there would be ghost images appearing. Is this true? He says LCD does not suffer from this problem and that LCD prices should be in line with plasma within the next 12-18 months.

Thanks for any help.
    mc

2. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The new 42 LCD from Philips is far superior compared to the plasma (actually to any 42 plasma) but it costs almost double the price. :eek:

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Image retention is something to be aware of with plasma screens, but it takes a good few hours of a non-moving image to cause problems. If you plan to play the same computer game every day forever then you will likely burn in the scoreboard section and any other fixed display bits (speedos on driving games etc) onto the panel. However it is very unlikely that you will use your plasma in this way and since general TV/DVD watching doesn't involve any prolonged non-moving images you will be fine (well, except that bloody red dot but it's no burned on my plasma). LCD is nowhere near as susceptible as plasma, but if you try hard enough you can still do it.

So far only the absolute latest LCDs (Philips and Sharp) have provided me with a picture I enjoy watching (in my opinion that is) but they are costly. Even still I am only comparing them to a plasma picture I enjoy more, day-in day-out (personal opinion again!). If you're in no rush you can wait and see what is round the corner, but there will only be another corner after that and you could be waiting an awful long time!!!!!! I would advise get a plasma and enjoy :)

P.S. use the search function above and you should be able to find plenty of threads regarding screenburn/image retention, LCD vs Plasma etc

4. martin7

martin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam. I think you're right.

cheers
    mc