tatazildo

Novice Member
I'm looking for several 55" OLED models. Basically the same 3 models everyone compares, the 950B/1000B, the A8F/A8G and the B9/C9. I have a very specific scenario which discards a lot of features that I won't make use of:

I have a Sony 4K HDR LED right now and I mainly use a 2019 NVIDIA Shield as the source device 85% of the time and 15% of it PC gaming (in 4K HDR when possible) and everything always passes through an Sony STR DH-790 AVR (which also has a 5.1.2 Atmos-compatible speaker system hooked to it) before arriving at the TV. This automatically implies that:
  • The NVIDIA Shield and my PC have everything I need right now in terms of apps and content so I rarely do (and will) use the TV's OS and/or apps.

• If I pass signal through my AVR, my TV will only get HDR10, DV or HLG, which are the only HDR formats the AVR supports.

• The TV having Atmos compatibility is irrelevant because the sound is processed on the AVR level so the TV only serves as an OLED panel for video.
These are the "remaining" features that draw my attention to each one of the models:
  • Panasonic GZ1000B (which is the GZ950B equivalent where I live I think) - has great color calibration. Although it supports multiple HDR formats (HDR10+/HDR10/HLG/Dolby Vision/HLG) my Sony AVR would narrow it down to HDR10, DV and HLG.

• Sony A8F - supports HDR10, HLG and DV, slightly better ABL and object-based upscaling. I like it because the AVR is a Sony too and they'll work (and look) great together.

• LG B9/C9 - the only feature here that draws my attention is HDMI 2.1. Oh and I hate WebOS but I heard LG panels are great (and they supply the panels for the other brands). Any differences between the B9 and C9 I should consider?
Anything else I should watch out for or any information I have wrong? I've seen Vince Teoh's review of the A9G (which is very similar to the A8F) vs the 950B and have perceived both TVs as really incredible. I'd easily discard the LG, but should I consider it better? What do y'all think?

Last edited:

tatazildo

Novice Member
Before also deciding for a new TV, a few weeks ago I bought a 65" A8F for 1/10th of the price because the screen was cracked. Authorized third-party repair shops are charging around R$ 8.000,00 to replace the screen. A new 65A8F here in Brazil goes for about R$ 13.000,00 so the repair is still a lot cheaper than a new one, but I can't afford it at least right now.

Sony Brazil told me the other option I'd have is open a ticket directly with them and they'll try and make me a better offer, but this can only be done when we're out of this pandemic and their support is back to normal, so until then I'll hold the 65 inch here at home.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

It seems like you have already done quite a bit of research, and are quite knowledgeable on the topic so I'm not sure how much I can help you.
I did make a comparison of the 2019 OLEDs here, but it doesn't include the AF8 which is a 2018 model.

There's a few things from reading I can think of mentioning:

• HDMI 2.1 is going to be useless if you are mainly using an Nvidia Shield, but may be useful in the future for a newer shield or if you directly connect a games console or HDMI 2.1 compatible graphics card.
  • If you are mostly using a shield, then any upscaling that could potentially be processed by the TV is wasted since you will already be sending the TV 4k. That is unless you plan on manually switching resolutions, or perhaps the shield already has the option to automatically match and change the frame rate according to the content you watch? In most people's set up they would keep the shield set to 4k and let it handle the upscaling, actually the shield is a pretty good upscaler as it is.
The difference between OLEDs year to year since 2017 is quite small, differences are more with software and burn in prevention than to picture quality. So with that in mind it definitely makes most sense for you to try and obtain a repair for the A8F, especially if you are going to be at a loss buying another TV.

If you were to choose from the other TVs then the OLED comparison will probably help you the most but I'd consider the LG B9 or C9 for future proofing the most, if you don't like the smart TV it doesn't matter if you aren't going to really use it. The C9 has better picture processing and upscaling, but generally isn't worth the extra over the B9, especially if you do all upscaling at the source (your shield) instead.

The Panasonic GZ1000 is probably the best overall TV when it comes to video content, its picture accuracy is the best in SDR and HDR.

And the Sony, well I actually read its ABL is worse than the other TVs, but it also has the best motion processing. Its upscaling will be similar in level to the C9 and GZ950 with the AF9 or AG9 especially being a step up.

Be a bit careful when it comes to upscaling because a lot of people will think they need to pay for a TV with a better image processor when they won't actually use it, you must be aware of at what stage you do upscaling and how you intend to set up your equipment.

Stay safe and I wish Brazil a fast recovery from the pandemic.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
If you're going to game (PC/PS5/XBOX) or use HDMI 2.1 points, get the C9.
If you want best out of the box picture quality closest to reference, go for Panasonic.
If you want the best motion, go for Sony.

They're the main features which set apart the brands.

I'd personally go for the C9 because you can always get your TV calibrated to match the Panasonic but you'll never be able to upgrade the HDMI ports, use gsync, VRR etc.

The difference between the B9 and C9 really lies in the processor and potentially the C9 might be supported slightly longer but thats all speculation.

tatazildo

Novice Member
It seems like you have already done quite a bit of research, and are quite knowledgeable on the topic so I'm not sure how much I can help you.
I did make a comparison of the 2019 OLEDs here, but it doesn't include the AF8 which is a 2018 model.

There's a few things from reading I can think of mentioning:

• HDMI 2.1 is going to be useless if you are mainly using an Nvidia Shield, but may be useful in the future for a newer shield or if you directly connect a games console or HDMI 2.1 compatible graphics card.
  • If you are mostly using a shield, then any upscaling that could potentially be processed by the TV is wasted since you will already be sending the TV 4k. That is unless you plan on manually switching resolutions, or perhaps the shield already has the option to automatically match and change the frame rate according to the content you watch? In most people's set up they would keep the shield set to 4k and let it handle the upscaling, actually the shield is a pretty good upscaler as it is.
The difference between OLEDs year to year since 2017 is quite small, differences are more with software and burn in prevention than to picture quality. So with that in mind it definitely makes most sense for you to try and obtain a repair for the A8F, especially if you are going to be at a loss buying another TV.

If you were to choose from the other TVs then the OLED comparison will probably help you the most but I'd consider the LG B9 or C9 for future proofing the most, if you don't like the smart TV it doesn't matter if you aren't going to really use it. The C9 has better picture processing and upscaling, but generally isn't worth the extra over the B9, especially if you do all upscaling at the source (your shield) instead.

The Panasonic GZ1000 is probably the best overall TV when it comes to video content, its picture accuracy is the best in SDR and HDR.

And the Sony, well I actually read its ABL is worse than the other TVs, but it also has the best motion processing. Its upscaling will be similar in level to the C9 and GZ950 with the AF9 or AG9 especially being a step up.

Be a bit careful when it comes to upscaling because a lot of people will think they need to pay for a TV with a better image processor when they won't actually use it, you must be aware of at what stage you do upscaling and how you intend to set up your equipment.

Stay safe and I wish Brazil a fast recovery from the pandemic.
Thanks a lot for the reply. You're right, I forgot the Shield does the upscaling and already outputs a 4K signal. And the PC too. About res/framerate autoswitching, the Plex app on the Shield deals with that very well.

I have read your review feel that all the options are great here, considering I'm discarding a lot of fancy stuff and basically stripping all the options down to their panel.

I hate WebOS but I agree with LG being future-proof, although don't think I'll have anything with HDMI 2.1 for the next 2 years or so. Sony OLEDs are way overpriced so I think I'll go for the Pana, which is also the cheaper one, and I'll also try to get a good deal from Sony on the A8F repair when it all goes back to normal.

Yesterday Pana Brazil dropped a surprise deal on the online Pana Brazil store and everyone went crazy, hahaha. I'll wait for another one of those and get one.

Stay safe too!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom