Dre55

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello

My system is as follows:
Yamaha Rxv 677
Front Speakers: Mission 702e
Centre: Wharfedale 10 cc
Sub: This is part of a Sony SS-WS5 speaker system that runs through an other amp and then into the AV, I use only the sub from that package because my Celestion went pop. I will be upgrading this to a Wharfedale SPC-10 Sub very soon.
Rear Speakers: Wharfedale WH-DFS.

Room size is: 16ft x 12ft

Question is I would like to try a set of side speakers and can lay my hands on a pair of Jamo A102's but these are 6ohm. Would it cause me problem with the other speakers that are rated 8ohm or with the AV and if not where is it best to mount them. Do I move the bipole speakers to the sides and put the Jamo speakers to the rear or keep the bipole where they are.

Thanks for any advice that is forth coming.

The 6ohm rating will not be an issue.
Really you would want all the speakers to be the same make and model all the way around hence you may want to consider changing the fronts or centre so that at least your front 3 match.
How much space to you have to the rear of the sofa and how much space to the side? This will help to decide which speaker to put in which location. Either that or try the speakers in each location to see which you prefer the sound off. However, you may find that adding a pair of mismatched speakers may make your experience worse and not better.

No space as the sofa is tight to the back wall, at the sides I have about 3 feet.
I was considering buying some wharfedale Diamond 10.4's floor standers for the fronts to match the centre and sub and move the mission 702's to the rear. I love the 702's or would I be better keeping the Wharfedale WH-DFS.

Given your limited space at the rear I would say you may well be better sticking to 5.1. Trying to cram more speakers in a tight space is often not a good idea. Also floorstsnders are not ideal for surrounds as they tend to be too low.

Yes thanks for your help 5.1 is more than enough, I tested the rears last night and I am quite happy with the results. The centre speaker is a bit low and the floor standers are low so maybe my investment should be aimed at getting a nice pair of fronts to replace the Missions although my music sounds nice through them. There again my Kenwood KR V9090 sounded better than my new Yamaha RXV 677 or is this because I am more used to the Kenwood's sound.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom