Advice with replacing a BT Openreach FTTC modem

SunnyIntervals

I'm looking for a bit of advice, I had FTTC installed many years ago and the BT engineer set up an Openreach modem as part of that. I understand these are now out of support, and it must be a good 7 years old now. I have that linked to a mesh router, with 2 other devices around the house. It all works fine, except that over the last few years my speeds have consistently dropped.

When it was first set up I would run speeds tests which showed about 71mbps on an "up to 76mbps" set up. I was happy with that. These days I get around 50mbps. It's not a huge difference and I can happily stream 4k without problem, but when I spoke to an agent at my ISP (plusnet) he suggested the modem might be the culprit as they are no longer supported and new customers are sent a single modem/router devices.

Are there any suggestions on a reasonably priced modem replacement (or modem/router device) that I can still connect to my mesh kit?

Thanks

MaryWhitehouse

Very unlikely to be that modem but the best way to find out is buy another on eBay and swap them. At least then you have a spare. Much easier to blame kit than admit line speed is down.

psychopomp1

Your lower speeds - especially if a gradual reduction over time - are most likely down to crosstalk at the FTTC cabinet, which is interference from other FTTC lines. Absolutely nothing you can do about this.

So chances are using a different modem won't improve speeds, or only give you a marginal increase of a few Mb/s. I wouldn't bother.

Last edited:

SunnyIntervals

Thanks.

I've been in touch with my ISP who are sending me their newest hub device, may not make any difference, but at least it's their latest kit. I agree though, it's likely the sheer number of people sharing connections at my nearest box. FTTP might come to my area this year, fingers crossed.

MaryWhitehouse

Bet you find it less reliable.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic 2022 OLED TV hands-on, Picture Settings Discussions, Hi-Fi and AV News & More
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom