Advice with DVD32R/Arcam DV29

T

TT9

Chaps,

I am thinking of offering my toploader for a very reluctant sale. This is because I wish to move up to a seperate dedicated CD transport/upsampler offering and have been thinking about digital/scaling PJ connections for a while to.

I am concerned about the audio side of things from DVD playback. I am fairly convinced I can get the picture i need with SDI/HDMI and a crystalio but am not sure about the audio side. Has anyone been able to compare the audio from a DVD against something like a Arcam 27/29 ? I was wondering if there was much in it and indeed how much if this is so.

Can anyone please advise the likely letdown and regret I will endure swapping out my Tag for an Arcam.

Thanks and Regards
Steve.

BTW: returned from IAG free from its 'faulty disc' problem. Reason was breakdown in some ribbon or other. All sorted now. Well done IAG :thumbsup:

Welly123

TT9 said:
Chaps,

Can anyone please advise the likely letdown and regret I will endure swapping out my Tag for an Arcam.

I use a DVD32R for CDs and an Arcam DV27 for DVD. Not much difference with DVDs (although the DVD32R has slightly better sound) but there's a vast difference with CD playback... in favour of the DVD32R.

Regards

T

TT9

Hi Russell,

In your opinion, how noticeable is the difference ? What I mean is if you are used to the playback of the tag, does the arcam audio spoil the enjoyment of the movie ? Or is it more like if I watched a film, and then again in isolation with the different player, I wouldn't really notice a difference ?

Thanks,
Steve.

GrahamMG

The difference in CD replay is very noticable, you would pick it out 10/10 times..... Video is also noticable in the Croma areas..... Watch finding Nemo and you will get the idea.....

Welly123

TT9 said:
Hi Russell,

In your opinion, how noticeable is the difference ? What I mean is if you are used to the playback of the tag, does the arcam audio spoil the enjoyment of the movie ? Or is it more like if I watched a film, and then again in isolation with the different player, I wouldn't really notice a difference ?

Thanks,
Steve.
I would doubt that you would notice the difference when viewing a DVD in isolation but you can see the difference when switching one to the other. The same really applies to movie sound, a comparison gives an audiable difference but again, I doubt there would be a difference when not directly compared. I quite happily watch the majority of films on the Arcam, it's only the ones where there's a particularly good soundtrack (action or music) where I "prefer" the Tag.

CDs are a different matter entirely.... The Arcam does not compare and I simply won't listen to music on it. Spoilt I guess.

Regards

GrahamMG

Like Udo once said, think of the DVD32R as a reference CD player that also happens to play DVD's excellently....

T

TT9

Graham,

You have given my machine a stay of execution. Was about to be sold to help finance a DV29, dCS Verdi, but I think I'll just get the elgar DAC for now and see how I go.

Regards,
Steve.