Advice with DVD32R/Arcam DV29

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by TT9, Feb 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaps,

I am thinking of offering my toploader for a very reluctant sale. This is because I wish to move up to a seperate dedicated CD transport/upsampler offering and have been thinking about digital/scaling PJ connections for a while to.

I am concerned about the audio side of things from DVD playback. I am fairly convinced I can get the picture i need with SDI/HDMI and a crystalio but am not sure about the audio side. Has anyone been able to compare the audio from a DVD against something like a Arcam 27/29 ? I was wondering if there was much in it and indeed how much if this is so.

Can anyone please advise the likely letdown and regret I will endure swapping out my Tag for an Arcam.

Thanks and Regards
    Steve.

BTW: returned from IAG free from its 'faulty disc' problem. Reason was breakdown in some ribbon or other. All sorted now. Well done IAG :thumbsup:

2. Welly123

Welly123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

3. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Russell,

In your opinion, how noticeable is the difference ? What I mean is if you are used to the playback of the tag, does the arcam audio spoil the enjoyment of the movie ? Or is it more like if I watched a film, and then again in isolation with the different player, I wouldn't really notice a difference ?

Thanks,
    Steve.

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    The difference in CD replay is very noticable, you would pick it out 10/10 times..... Video is also noticable in the Croma areas..... Watch finding Nemo and you will get the idea.....

5. Welly123

Welly123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would doubt that you would notice the difference when viewing a DVD in isolation but you can see the difference when switching one to the other. The same really applies to movie sound, a comparison gives an audiable difference but again, I doubt there would be a difference when not directly compared. I quite happily watch the majority of films on the Arcam, it's only the ones where there's a particularly good soundtrack (action or music) where I "prefer" the Tag.

CDs are a different matter entirely.... The Arcam does not compare and I simply won't listen to music on it. Spoilt I guess.

Regards

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Like Udo once said, think of the DVD32R as a reference CD player that also happens to play DVD's excellently....

7. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham,

You have given my machine a stay of execution. Was about to be sold to help finance a DV29, dCS Verdi, but I think I'll just get the elgar DAC for now and see how I go.

Regards,
    Steve.