Advice: What to do on a Saturday moring in London

hamd01

Me and the wife are in London for a couple of nights at the end of the month. Baby sitters are in place, Friday & Saturday night hotel booked, and two shows sorted (Wicked & Jools Holland at the RAH).

We have a free slot on the Saturday morning, and are debating what to do with it. So, keep in mind that we don't get to London very often these days, and we have both done all of the obvious attractions previously.....what would you do with a spare Saturday morning in London?

IronGiant

Christmas shopping in shops you wouldn't normally get to?

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
there's lots to do depends what you fancy. Theres places like the london eye or madame tussauds or you could just be a tourist for the day and do things like tower of london, st pauls cathedral and some galleries like the tate or national gallery. Also got the museums and i believe theres ice rinks opening at the tower of london and the history museum soon so you could do that for an hour. Also worth a look is winter wonderland in hyde park, it's a full on christmas market with ice rink and fairground, we go every year in the week between xmas and new years

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Borough Market for breakfast from 9am, or if you're an early bird you can go for breakfast & a beer at Smithfield Market from 4am:thumbsup:.

hamd01

Thanks for the ideas guys, keep them coming!

We have pretty much done all the museums, and major touist attractions. Looking for some lessor known but great half days out.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the ideas guys, keep them coming!

We have pretty much done all the museums, and major touist attractions. Looking for some lessor known but great half days out.

any particular sort of activity you had in mind though, theres loads to do from climbing at london bridge all the way to cruising along the river. If you say any common interestes there's probably something relevant to do around them in london somewhere.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
A walk along the southbank and brunch at borough market cannot be beat on a saturday morning IMO.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Kick back and enjoy your hotel room & breakfast in bed.

Shady

Borough Market for breakfast from 9am, or if you're an early bird you can go for breakfast & a beer at Smithfield Market from 4am:thumbsup:.

Agree with Borough Market - great place to wander round and nibble.

Check and make sure Smithfields is open on a Saturday if you are going to do this. Me and the missus made this mistake in September.

You could always get the tube up to Camden - if you fancy rubbing shoulders with a load of soap dodging oiks. That said though, it is a decent place to wander round and the pub / bar upstairs by the locks is not bad for lunch (the one with the tables outside - up the stairs and turn right). My burger and the good ladies Pad Thai were great.

Other than that, can't beat mooching round Covent Garden, taking in a crafty breakfast / lunch and sit back and people watch.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I agree with a walk along the Thames or a trip to a bustling market. Personally I would avoid Oxford Street entirely and the surrounding area within 3 underground stops on any Saturday, let alone near xmas. Unless you have a strong desire to fight elbow and all through crowds of women :)

hamd01

Ok, BB3Lions wins the award for the most useless answer so far.

But thanks for all the really great suggestions so far. Arsenal Spurs is SO tempting, but I can confirm football isnt a shared interest :(

Shared interests which might be relevant on this trip: chilling, wining and dining, theatres, sight seeing

I'd quite like to do a theatre tour....something like the Royal Albery Hall, where they show you behind the scenes etc....but can't find anything.

We have the bike tour planned for Sunday morning which gets top ratings on trip advisor.

I'm really looking for local knowledge of little gems that might be quite unknown to the general tourist.

I'll post picies and a review after the event!

Thanks again guys.

Razor

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom