Advice - What phone suits me best?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by cunnas, Feb 25, 2014.

1. cunnas

cunnas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Hi all
    I'm just after a bit of advice really as I think the time has come for a new mobile.

I've had the Note 2 for a couple of years now and I've loved it. The size of it is handy sometimes but gets on my nerves on some occasions too. I like Android a lot having had an iPhone a few years ago. I also like the ability to add an external storage card. The battery is decent, as is the camera. Most importantly though, the tariff I am on is superb - the £12 Giff Gaff deal gives me everything I want (minus 4G) in terms of calls, texts and most importantly data. I use my phone more as a tablet for internet, emails, Facebook, Twitter, etc - I rarely use it as a phone.

What would you recommend I look at?

The obvious ones for me are the Note 3, iPhone 5c (the only reason I'm even considering this is that I LOVE the camera on my wife's 4s) and the new S5. There seem to be good offerings from LG and Sony too.

What I would like in my new phone is (not necessarily in this order); a good camera, memory slot and a fast operating speed.

I'm a bit split as to whether to go for a contract on £30 a month when I have a perfect contract on £12 a month but that would obviously mean the phone is free/cheaper - from what I can see, T-Mobile are the only operator which seems to offer unlimited data at a decent monthly cost.

I'd spend up to £400 on a new/used phone - splitting the cost over 2 years plus my Giff Gaff tariff kind of gives me a monthly budget of £30, as long as the phone is free, on a monthly contract deal

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

2. sosen13

sosen13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    maybe you need closer look to coming sony xperia z2. i use note 3 and love it, but z2 looks really impressive

3. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    If you need the micro SD the Samsung flagships are your safest bet. The Sony ones do look good as well though. Is there a reason expandable storage is so essential? I always thought I had to have it then once on an unlimited data plan realised that I didn't, even more so once I'm on 4g. My phone is used for all that stuff you say you do and it doesn't need the big memory, what I actually ended up doing is getting a nexus phone and a hudl for the commute to work which can take the SD card should I need it, that still came in under your £400 budget

4. cunnas

cunnas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Having done a bit of reading yesterday I don't think expandable memory is all that important as I can always user drop box etc. I think the most important thing for me is the camera. It must be Android too. I've looked at the Sony Xperia Z1 and the soon to be released Z2. They're my favorites at the moment.

5. ronak47

ronak47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I would say a choice of the below -

Samsung Note 3
    Sony Xperia Z2
    Nexus 5

6. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    All I'll say about the iPhone is I honestly do think you'll hate the small screen very quickly. I know I did. As an old note 2 owner myself I find 5" screens to be the sweet spot in phone size. That is all I'll say on the matter. Its a nice compromise between size and portability. I personally like my nexus 5 but I'd say definitely look at all the options in the class. If money was no object I'd plump for the xperia Z2.

7. Tom_Davies007

Tom_Davies007
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nexus 5 is the best phone uptil now. If you can increase your budget, I would recommend you to consider HTC One M8.