1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Wanted: Yamaha RX-V650, Denon AVR-1905 or Cambridge Audio Azur 540R

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by seaephpea, May 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. seaephpea

seaephpea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm selling my old 2 channel hi-fi (Arcam Alpha 7 Amp and Black Box 500 DAC) and entering the wonderful world of surround...

However my budgets decreased if anything, so I was looking at the Yamaha RX-V650 (£240), Denon AVR-1905 (£230) or Cambridge Audio Azur 540R (£250). (As a side point, does anyone know if the Denon is made in Europe?)

I watch a fair few films etc., but I think I'm more concerned with their quality playing good old stereo CDs and vinyl. My guess is that none of these will come close to the Black Box 500, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the azur is the only way to go from stereo, the stereo sound is absolutely fantastic, as is the movie sound. A true english masterpiece, the japanese gimmicks found on yamaha etc dont get in the way of the sound on cambridge audio's, its simple and highly effective. trust me, build quality is excellent and theres tons of power. buy it NOW!

3. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    As always..... audition!! However, I disagree with Chedmaster's comments that "Japanese gimmicks" harm the sound on the Yamaha and Denon models. I agree they don't do anything useful, but you wouldn't use these modes in normal listening, be it surround movies, surround music or two channel music. Both the Denon and Yamaha have pure direct modes for two channel music which removes almost all processing anyway. I haven't heard the 540R but wouldn't be convinced from certain threads on here....
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152310 Excellent build quality???
    I have only heard the Yamaha and Denon models a step up, namely the DSPAX750SE and the AVR-2105. I prefered the Yamaha sound as it is a little more airy and dynamic than the warm and closed sounding Denon. However, sonic traits are definately a personal preference and are therfore best left up to your own ears. Again, audition all three and see which one suits you best.

4. seaephpea

seaephpea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem with auditioning is that things are a lot lot cheeper online, and I'd feel really rude going to Richer Sounds despite having no intention of buying anything from them...

The Yamaha has an auto set up feature with microphone, which superficially at least seems like a good thing, especially considering my speakers will be rather unmatched to start with at least. Should I be swayed by this? (How much do sound pressure monitors cost? Are they necessary?)

Thanks again,

Tom

5. shortone

shortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Richer Sounds do a very good price deal. As long as you can provide a tel. number to confirm the web price they will match.

Regards

Andy

6. seaephpea

seaephpea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered the Yamaha RX-V750 from Pixmania. It was a bit above my budget, but the prices are all heavily knocked down at the moment cos the next range is coming out. (I'm not entirely sure whether Pixmania actually have it in stock, cos it was saying 8-10 days on their site, which will probably mean they won't be able to get it. Worth a gamble though.)

Thanks for all your help.

Tom

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    go and listen to an azur and see what you are missing out on