1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice wanted Sony VPH-722QM

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kevin Hay, May 10, 2003.

1. Kevin Hay

Kevin Hay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Sony VPH-722QM on eBay and I was looking for some advice with regards to connection of my equipment.

I have a Pioneer DV-525 DVD player, Sky+ Digibox, JVC HR-S6722 S-VHS Video recorder and PS2 which I intend to connect through the RGBS connections on the projector.

My problem is this, the JVC, as far as I am aware, can only output S-Video or composite video and I would ideally like to connect everything up by RGB. Is there a method of converting S-Video to RGB? There are plenty for going from RGB to S-Video but I haven't seen many going in the other direction.

I also intend to make the projector ceiling mounted and I was wondering if there was any sort of remote control for this model of projector?

If there is anybody out there who can assist me it would be appreciated,

regards, Kevin Hay

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Welcome

you may as well just connect it all as S-video because converting it will only be as good as the original signal and unless you are using very high grade conversion gear then you will probably be worse off.

I am not sure what your pj will take but it is worth considering some sort of deinterlacer if it will take it, maybe a used quadscan or iscan pro, these will convert all your outputs to RGBhv but will also line improve the image greatly.

bothe the above units will take component input but not RGB, having said that the results are pretty good using S.

have you got the specs of the PJ ????

3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

I think that the 722 is a video only projector, an analog model with no digital convergence. As such, it won't be able to support a line doubler. It's also too old to have a s-video connector on board. There won't be an IR remote either, although it may be able to accept a 'remote box' which is connected via a 12 cable umbilical connection. That would allow you to switch inputs and change brightness and contrast. My old 1031 was ceiling mounted but it's probably easiest just to stand up to make adjustments.

Does your projector have a scart input ?
    If it does then you should be OK with rgb as fed from your dvd player and Skybox.

There were S-video to rgb converter boxes around when S-vhs was launched in the early 90's, you might be able to pick on up cheaply on e-bay (or you could put a 'wanted' in the 'for sale' forum). You can buy a Kramer box (VM-14 or 19 ?) which will convert s to rgbs but it's probably in excess of £200 ........ you might not want to outlay that amount given the limited spec of your projector. Again, they appear on e-bay from time to time.

Since you mention an rgbs connection on your projector (no scart ???) it's just possible that your projector won't lock onto a scart rgb signal because the sync voltage (off the scart) is too low. If that's the case then you might have to buy a sync amplifier or (Syncbuster ?) cable from Keene electronics. The Kramer box outputs an interlaced rgbs signal which has the sync levels boosted so you could use it directly.

Hope that helps,

Brian.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    MacroVision could be a problem too (copy protection) your projector might change in brightness as the sync level drops and raises.

Your projector should have a video to RGB decoder built in. It will do s-video to RGB if it has the plug but it sound like it hasn't.
    Most cheap external boxes will convert S-video to Composite before transcoding to RGB any how.