Advice wanted please

danc23

Hi

I am considering upgrading from Sky+ to Sky+HD but have a couple of questions before taking the leap:

1) I have heard from doing some research that some people say the SD quality on the Sky+HD box is worse than through the Sky+. The picture I have at the moment is excellent and I don't want it to be worse if I upgrade! Has anybody experienced this? Would it be better/possible to watch SD through scart & switch to hdmi when I want to watch HD?

My current box details:
Manufacturer: PACE
Model number: 6.3.18
Version number: 9F2202

2) I will probably take the self-setup option but I can't see this on their site and it only allows me to choose multi-room. Do I have to call them to order self-setup?

Sorry for the long post & thanks in advance for any advice

logiciel

Hi, and that's not a long post by some standards.
There's no reason why the picture on SD channels should be any different on a HD receiver from what you get now.
I'd call them up, say you want a HD receiver and to pay the £10 a month for it, that you don't want multiroom, and that you don't want one of their boys coming to swap the cables from your present receiver to the new one, and that should result in ParcelForce bringing a nice new HD receiver to your home within a few days, when you'll swap the dish cables, connect the HDMI cable that comes with it, discard the Scart, and call Sky to "pair" your card.
If the new receiver ever should happen to go wrong, which is unlikely, get Sky to exchange it for one that works.
HTH - Logiciel

Last edited:

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
My HD box crashes frequently and I know of others with the same problems, I'd be a bit wary...

And there are many hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions) that don't out of over 3 million HD subscribers. There are quite a few with Sky+ and standard boxes that crash as well.

logiciel

And the owners of those that do either fix the PSUs themselves, or get replacement receivers from Sky.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Hi

I am considering upgrading from Sky+ to Sky+HD but have a couple of questions before taking the leap:

1) I have heard from doing some research that some people say the SD quality on the Sky+HD box is worse than through the Sky+. The picture I have at the moment is excellent and I don't want it to be worse if I upgrade! Has anybody experienced this? Would it be better/possible to watch SD through scart & switch to hdmi when I want to watch HD?

My current box details:
Manufacturer: PACE
Model number: 6.3.18
Version number: 9F2202
I find my Amstrad HD box is as good on SD (via HDMI) as my previous Pace Sky+ was via scart. It is very dependent on your TV and its settings whether you get a better SD picture via HDMI or scart - chose the one you prefer.

2) I will probably take the self-setup option but I can't see this on their site and it only allows me to choose multi-room. Do I have to call them to order self-setup?
That usually means they have the wrong information on your account - do you have two cables from the lnb to your present Sky+? If yes then phone them you should be able to book by phone. Note that this is an upgrade from Sky+ to Sky HD and if you have not informed them you have a Sky+ box (Usually by pairing your viewing card to your box if you did a self install of your Sky+ box) then according to their system you are not eligible for self install and only for their installation option.

Chadford

Distinguished Member
I've read posts were folk complain about upgrading and getting an inferior quality SD picture. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. I've a 1TB Amstrad and the SD quality is absolutely fine.

Bear in mind that you are upgrading to get HD, I've just checked my planner and I've got 21 programs to record in HD and only 6 that are SD. :smashin:

If you decide to take the plunge and upgrade, I would definitely recommend going for the 1TB Amstrad - finally a box with a decent size hard drive. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom