1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice wanted; Plasma or LCD....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sibod, Jul 18, 2005.

1. sibod

sibod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for posting in 2 different forums, but I wanted to get a broad selection of opinions.

I'm looking at getting a 40" + TV, and it is to replace my Rear Projection Sony 44" CRT system (too bulky!).

Currently I'm looking at
    Samsung LE40R51B
    http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/100311823/14206306.html

This looks great, but what are the advantages/disadvantages re: Plasma vs LCD? is there a plasma equivalent for same/less than this?

Help greatly appreciated!!

2. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    plasma still has edge on PQ; better contrast i think. Also quick movement is better.

Lcd is catching up though and is much cheaper to run. Also lasts longer?

3. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +691
    IMO the one huge disadvantage of LCD screens is the backlighting.The LCD's look lovely in a well lit room but spin a disk or play games on them in the dark and all you can see is a halo of light around the screen.Some are better than others but that problem was enough for me to opt for a plasma instead.I've never had any regrets since.

4. sibod

sibod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, now I'm confused! The Samsung PS42S5H seems like a good deal, and can be had for £1495 at some retailers. I've read the threads on here about it, but I'm concerned that the picture quality might not be the best compared to the LCD variation.
    However, I'm wavering - I dont know if I need HD at all really. It seems Sky HDTV wont be possible without a dual LNB (Wich is impossible on shared sat dishes in my flat that' I'll be moving into) - so the only reason I'd need HD Ready is to play XBOX 360 games, or run HD PC inputs.

So - perhaps it's better to go for a SD plasma? But then given that this has to last me around 5 years, shouldnt i look at HD?
    GIven there's only a £500 odd difference between HD and SD, is it worth it?

5. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +691
    Why do you think it should have worse PQ compared to the LCD.All the LCD's I've seen don't look as nice as plasma when viewing SKY Digital and Analouge sources.If you play games I'd take your games console with you to test it on an LCD as if the response time is bad on it you'll get lots of ghosting on the image.

I bought a HD Ready panny 42PV500 over the SD version because I would kick myself in a years time if all this HD TV/Gaming looks incredible and I hadn't spent the extra £400 on the HD Model.If you are going to keep the thing for 5 years you may well regret not forking out an extra £500 at the outset, just my opinion anyway.

6. sibod

sibod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems the consensus is 'Go Plasma' for non ghosted pictures, but is it really that bad? Playing around on my PC my LCD doesnt seem bad at all. What are the Cons against Plasma then?

7. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +691
    That's why I suggested testing the LCD screens you're interested in with a games console.Some will look good,some will have ghosting.