Advice wanted on starter vinyl hifi for my daughter....

DigitalDigger

Yes, I have already have a spare Chromecast Audio ready for the system
I have a few of them around. I also use a gen 1 dragonfly black. Didnt cost a massive amount of money.
Got my tt off here a while back.
I'm positive you could get a good system used that will far outweigh the same cash bought new

Sleuth

Just saying
Thanks. I'm in East Sussex though and it's for a small room but I take your point & will keep watching here (and on ebay)

BlueWizard

It would be better, rather than leaving us to guess, if you flat out stated your working budget.

How compact does the system have to be? If you buy a turntable that has a built in Phono Pre-Amp, then you can connect directly to any Line Level (RCA) connection.

The Edifier S2000Pro (£499/pr) have RCA Analog, Optical, and Coaxial inputs as well as Bluetooth, and the come with a Remote Control -

Amazon product
As far as turntables, I would NOT go LOWER than this one -

Although it doesn't take much more money to do better than that.

Rega Planar 1 and Project Debut Carbon (2M Red Cartridge) are both worthy considerations. But if you get the Planar 1 get the PLUS version that comes with a Cartridge upgrade -

Planar 1 -

Planar 1 PLUS -

Project Carbon Debut (DC) -

The Carbon Debut does come in a variety of colors.

Of course there are similar turntable in the same price range -

Now that is a system with the Minimum number of components, if you can spend more, and can handle more components, then the highest value in an Amp is probably YAMAHA. Though certainly there are many other good amp, but Yamaha is very high value while still maintaining quality.

Best value are the Yamaha AS501 w/Phono, DAC, Sub-out and the Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver. The Yamaha RN602 has 2x Optical and 2x Coaxial inputs, Phono In, AM/FM, Bluetooth, and Network Streaming,....

For speakers, you have to find a compromise between Size and Performance. I would not recommend the Q Acoustic 3010i, but I would recommend the 3020i which are slightly larger. Neither of these are deep bass speakers, but I have the 3020 (not "i") on my computer and they have served me very well.

For Maximum value, these Wharfedale are pretty sweet speakers and they originally cost £250/pr or more. They are older versions, but still good speaker at tremendous value and in a variety of colors -

When these were new, the Diamond 9.1 were highly regarded in their price class. They are smooth and sweet, and not the least bit harsh once broken in. I also have Diamond 9.6 which are fantastic for music.

There is one larger Q Acoustic, the 3030i which is worth considering if the dimensions are not prohibitive, though they are still reasonably small.

So, just to give you a general idea -

£345 = Rega Planar 1 PLUS
£350 = Yamaha AS501 (85w/ch, DAC, Phono)
£250 = (Pair) Q Acoustic 3020i
---------------------------------------
£945 = Total

Of course you can substitute where ever you choose. But that gives you a ball-park idea of what kind of system can be had, and you do have room to adjust the budget up or down as you see fit.

And of course there are other good speakers from DALI, Mission, ELAC, and many others to consider. You just need to weigh price and performance against your personal needs.

Still, let us know specifically what your Budget or Budget Range is, then we can focus on systems the fit that range.

Steve/bluewizard

DigitalDigger

It would be better, rather than leaving us to guess, if you flat out stated your working budget.

How compact does the system have to be? If you buy a turntable that has a built in Phono Pre-Amp, then you can connect directly to any Line Level (RCA) connection.

The Edifier S2000Pro (£499/pr) have RCA Analog, Optical, and Coaxial inputs as well as Bluetooth, and the come with a Remote Control -

Amazon product
As far as turntables, I would NOT go LOWER than this one -

Although it doesn't take much more money to do better than that.

Rega Planar 1 and Project Debut Carbon (2M Red Cartridge) are both worthy considerations. But if you get the Planar 1 get the PLUS version that comes with a Cartridge upgrade -

Planar 1 -

Planar 1 PLUS -

Project Carbon Debut (DC) -

The Carbon Debut does come in a variety of colors.

Of course there are similar turntable in the same price range -

Now that is a system with the Minimum number of components, if you can spend more, and can handle more components, then the highest value in an Amp is probably YAMAHA. Though certainly there are many other good amp, but Yamaha is very high value while still maintaining quality.

Best value are the Yamaha AS501 w/Phono, DAC, Sub-out and the Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver. The Yamaha RN602 has 2x Optical and 2x Coaxial inputs, Phono In, AM/FM, Bluetooth, and Network Streaming,....

For speakers, you have to find a compromise between Size and Performance. I would not recommend the Q Acoustic 3010i, but I would recommend the 3020i which are slightly larger. Neither of these are deep bass speakers, but I have the 3020 (not "i") on my computer and they have served me very well.

For Maximum value, these Wharfedale are pretty sweet speakers and they originally cost £250/pr or more. They are older versions, but still good speaker at tremendous value and in a variety of colors -

When these were new, the Diamond 9.1 were highly regarded in their price class. They are smooth and sweet, and not the least bit harsh once broken in. I also have Diamond 9.6 which are fantastic for music.

There is one larger Q Acoustic, the 3030i which is worth considering if the dimensions are not prohibitive, though they are still reasonably small.

So, just to give you a general idea -

£345 = Rega Planar 1 PLUS
£350 = Yamaha AS501 (85w/ch, DAC, Phono)
£250 = (Pair) Q Acoustic 3020i
---------------------------------------
£945 = Total

Of course you can substitute where ever you choose. But that gives you a ball-park idea of what kind of system can be had, and you do have room to adjust the budget up or down as you see fit.

And of course there are other good speakers from DALI, Mission, ELAC, and many others to consider. You just need to weigh price and performance against your personal needs.

Still, let us know specifically what your Budget or Budget Range is, then we can focus on systems the fit that range.

Steve/bluewizard

He said no more than £600 a few posts up

BlueWizard

He said no more than £600 a few posts up
Sorry, I missed that.

The Edifier S2000Pro plus a fair turntable could hit that budget with a minimum component count.

He might also want to consider the Edifier R2000DB (£239/pr), a lesser speakers, but with similar features -

Amazon product
Plenty of reviews on both speakers on YouTube.

Let me see how close I can come in a component system -

£220 = Audio Technica LP120
£299 = Yamaha AS301
£250 = Q Acoustic 3020i (pair)
-----------------------------------------
£769 = Total

Over budget but I just worked it out on the fly, and it is not that far off. And personally, I'm not sure how to do better for less.

If we start with speakers that leaves us with £350 for Turnable and Amp, which is lean -

$250 = Q Acoustic 3020i (pair)
£195 = Yamaha AS201 Amplfier
£199 = Audio Technica LP3 Turntable
£644 = Total

You are giving up a lot of features and quality on the Amp by moving from the AS301 down to the AS201, though it should still be a good amp.

Keep in mind I did NOT search out best prices, I simply use the first source I knew of that had the product. The OP might find better prices.

The Edifier S2000Pro which are very good sounding speakers, are about £445, so that doesn't leave much for the turntable, but if we use the same AT-LP3 then -

£445 = Edifier S2000Pro Active Speaker Pair
£199 = Audio Technica AT-LP3 Turntable
------------------------------------------------
£644 = Total

Or with a slightly better turntable -

£445 = Edifier S2000Pro Active Speaker Pair
£220 = Audio Technica AT-LP120x Turntable
------------------------------------------------
£665 = Total

Using the still decent Edifier R2000DB there is room to upgrade the turntable -

£240 = Edifier R2000DB Active Speakers Pair
£220 = Audio Technica LP120X Turntable
-------------------------------
£460 = Total

Keep in mind both Edifier speakers have Bluetooth so you can stream to them from any Bluetooth enabled Smart Device, and they have DACs and a Remote Control.

I would expect the S2000Pro and the AT-LP120x Turntable to make a very good sounding system, plus you can stream to the speakers from your Smart Phone so you aren't limited to just the turntable. Plus with Optical Inputs, the speakers can be connected to most TVs for TV and Movie watching.

Also, having a Remote Control is important. The TV and the Turntable do not have volume controls and constantly having to get up and adjust the volume on the Amp/Speakers is a bit of a pain. Both the Yamaha's and the Edifier's have Remote Controls, so that is a problem solved.

There is an element of all your eggs in one basket here, but with a limited budget, you have to make trade offs.

But if you can scrape together the money, this is the preferred system -

£220 = Audio Technica LP120X
£299 = Yamaha AS301
£250 = Q Acoustic 3020i (pair)
£769 = Total

And ...absolutely... for £20 I would greatly prefer the LP120X over the more basic LP3. The LP3 is really an LP60 with a better tone arm. LP60 is too far down the ladder of quality, but the better tone arm of the LP3 makes it a worthy consideration. But as mentioned, for £20 more you can get the LP120X.

You can find reviews of all these products on YouTube, and that might give the OP a better idea of the direction to go.

For a bedroom system, with limited space, the Edifier/Audio Technica make a very very compact minimum component system.

Just a few more thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

Sleuth

Thank you very much @BlueWizard - I really appreciate your input and suggestions.

Just to add in that my budget of up to £600 doesn't have to include an amplifier right away. I have an old Sony AV amplifier with a Phono stage that I can use to get us started. This would mean choosing a turntable plus speakers for around £600 max.

The amp isn't great by audiophile standard but it would build into a system that's much, much better than her cheap Philips micro hi-fi and I have a Chromecast Audio I can donate for streaming. It looks like the Rega Planar 1 Plus will also connect via RCA to 3.5mm into the Aux input of her current system. So as a first step I might be able to get away with that.

If she likes it we can upgrade over time.

For speakers I was also considering the Q Acoustics Concept 20 or the B&W 607 which there seems to be deals on. I'll take a look at the Yamaha amps and I know there has been some good used buys on them recently.

Many thanks again.

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Thank you very much @BlueWizard - I really appreciate your input and suggestions.

Just to add in that my budget of up to £600 doesn't have to include an amplifier right away. I have an old Sony AV amplifier with a Phono stage ...

For speakers I was also considering the Q Acoustics Concept 20 or the B&W 607 which there seems to be deals on. I'll take a look at the Yamaha amps and I know there has been some good used buys on them recently.

Many thanks again.

The Sony amp is probably fine. So that leaves us ...roughly... more or less... £300 for speakers, and £300 for Turntable, though you can divide it how you please.

Concept 20, which I also had and reviewed, though YouTube deleted the videos, are definitely better than the 3020i. Exceptionally clear and present. I describe them as exciting speakers. But more expensive. Still if it fits into your budget, very worthy considerations.

The B&W 607 are also good. Though I was looking at floorstanding, I found the newer 600 series to be very balanced. The original versions seem to have exaggerated bass, the newer version ...again... seem more balanced. I heard good Mid/High presence, which is what I was looking for, but with still a very smooth presentation.

Personally, I would very much choose the 607 over the 606, though larger, I think you will get better performance from the 607. Though that is a decision for you to make.

As to turntables, I gave you a very wide working range, you'll just have to decide how far you want to take it.

Panar 1 Plus and Debut Carbon DC are both very good choice in the higher end of those suggested.

The Audio Techinca LP120x and LP140x are also worth considering.

The DENON DP300 is an Auto-Start/Auto-Stop turntable which is very handy. For myself with a Pioneer Auto-Start/Stop, if I have to leave the house while a record is playing, I just walk away knowing the Turntable with return the Arm to rest and shut itself off. Same if I fall asleep, with a non-Auto-Start/Stop, the stylus will rest in the end-groove with the turntable spinning until you wake up and shut it off. With an Auto-Start/Stop, just forget about it. It return the arm and shuts off the motor automatically.

The Auto-Start/Stop are not that popular in the UK today. But back in the day, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, these used to be very popular, and many many Auto-Start/Stop models were made. I absolutely love my Pioneer, and should it ever die, the Denon DP300 would be high on my list as a replacement just for this feature.

Steve/Bluewizard

English Invader

Planar 1 PLUS -

The RP1 Plus is bad news according to the Audiophile Man (and he's a very ardent champion of the original RP1):

The TLDR is that the cheap phono stage bolted onto the RP1 Plus cripples the sound of the TT and undoes everything that makes the original RP1 a recommended TT for beginners.

BlueWizard

The RP1 Plus is bad news according to the Audiophile Man (and he's a very ardent champion of the original RP1):

The TLDR is that the cheap phono stage bolted onto the RP1 Plus cripples the sound of the TT and undoes everything that makes the original RP1 a recommended TT for beginners.
I offered a wide range of turntables across a wide range of prices. The Original Poster will have to decide for himself.

Steve/bluewizard

Sleuth

Hello, just wanted to add an update to this.

I've now ordered a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable for my daughter. There's a good deal via an ebay code, so I managed to get a new one for £240.

Leaning towards the Kanto YU4 but still have a few months before her birthday.

Other options are getting a phono stage and using RCA to 3.5mm to connect to the AUX in of her mini system - or get some small passive speakers and connect the turntable and speakers to my old Sony.

I know my daughter would prefer not to have a big amp.

Thanks again for all the input so far, it's been very helpful

gava

Check out these:

KRK ROKIT RP5 G4 Studio Monitors £275 a pair.

If you can afford to strech a few pounds more they do ones with 7"drivers for about £360 a pair.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom